New Magazine for Back-Yard Boat Builders

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Jeff, Apr 16, 2002.

1. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

[​IMG]

Jim Betts e-mailed me about the re-launch of International Amateur Boat Building magazine with it's first new issue coming out May 2002. I think many of the readers of our site will find this interesting, so here is a full announcement:

“For the do-it-yourself boating enthusiast with more time than money, there is a new publication, International Amateur Boat Building.” Well, it’s not exactly new for it was started in 1967 by Jim Betts, a boat designer and builder, but was discontinued some years later. Now Mr. Betts – fully retired – is bringing it back.

The monthly magazine offers new plans, new building methods and materials. Much as before the publication’s parent organization is the International Boat Building Society (IABBS). The organization is setting up local boatbuilding clubs and plans to have a headquarters and building center in New Jersey.

Things to look for in the first issue:

¤ Sixteen study plans of boats – new and old – all suitable for amateur building. (This will be a regular feature, with 16 per issue.)

¤ The unvarnished truth about plywood! Types, grades, etc.

¤ Fifteen tips for the amateur builder – they will save time and money.

¤ An amateur-buildable submarine. (Two of them in fact.)

¤ USCG report on safety standards for amateur-built boats.

¤ Lapstrake building brought up to date with epoxy.

¤ The 25 most-asked questions about amateur building. (With answers, to be sure.)

¤ Top web sites to visit.

¤ Cold molding – How to get the shape you want the easy way.

¤ The ergonomics of boats – how man fits the machine.

¤ Six lobsterboat plans and kits.

¤ What you need to know about boat design.

[​IMG]

A Sample copy of the magazine is $3.

For more information write:
    IABBS
    P.O. Box 1309
    Point Pleasant Beach NJ 08742-1309 USA

AmateurBoats@aol.com

2. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Thanks Jeff, I knew about the IABBS from a long while back but had not heard anything about them lately. Should make a great addition to information available to us which, except for the internet and Boatbuilder Magazine, has been pretty limited.:)

3. 8knots

8knots A little on the slow side

Thanks

Jeff you never cease to amaze me at the amout of useful info you have. I would love to be locked in your library for a week.
    (with a coffee pot of course)!!!! Thanks for your great amount of time and effort put into this site. 8Kts;)

4. Jeff

Jeff Moderator

Thanks Tom!

And thanks 8knots!

One of the best things about working on a web site like this is the people you get to come in contact with along the way.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.