Regulations regarding stern doors

Discussion in 'Class Societies' started by ldigas, Sep 6, 2011.

1. ldigas

ldigas Senior Member

I've searched but fail to fully understand. I have a modified Doggersbank 60' design onto which the owner wishes to put up a stern platform (removable) and stern doors onto the stern wall (so to way). The lower side of the doors would be some 30-40cm above the waterline.

Could somebody explain to me what are the regulations and problems the classification societies would present regarding such doors? In laymans terms?

And do they need to be watertight or is weathertight sealing enough?

(A rather simply and openly put question, but it is something I'm rather in a hurry to find a few pointers on).

2. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Better ask the designer Dick Boon.. without knowing all the details it's hard to say for sure..

3. ldigas

ldigas Senior Member

The boat has been rebuild twice in its lifetime by local yards and repair facilities. But that is irrelevant. I only mentioned it so you could gain some idea of the design.

What I wanted to know was in regards to the stern doors and regulations regarding them?

4. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

watertight, preferably at least 1 metre above the waterline

5. ldigas

ldigas Senior Member

Unfortunatelly, that is not possible. The maximum height above the waterline we can accomplish is about 40cm (and that's theoretically).
    Does the classification societies allow some alleviation if the cabin is equipped with extra bilge pumps? (The door is to the "room" (not for people but for keeping things) that will be apart from other closed spaces on the boat).

6. ldigas

ldigas Senior Member

I'll try to post a general layout as soon as I can to give you an idea of what I mean. Tomorrow morning or thereabots as soon as I coerce my scanner into working.

7. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

The stern deck has surely some kind of drainage. If they are permanently open, so that they don't prevent inflooding anyway then it's irrelevant how you arrange the doors just they have adequate integrity.

8. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

I believe as far as ABS is concerned, there are no requirements for the placement of a door in a hull in relation to the waterline, other than it has to be watertight--and that should be absolutely watertight. That means probably at least 6 locking dogs, operable from both sides. It cannot leak any water if it is submerged. If the boat is not now classed, then there is no reason to consider class rules. Other classification societies or the MCA may have different rules. Certainly, prudence and responsible boat building will require watertight doors. Don't even consider a weather tight door--won't work.

Eric

9. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

If sailed several professionally engineered and build yachts with opening transom doors. None of them could be classified watertight, none of them had hatch dogs , only a barrel bolt type lock which also disengaged the hydraulic function , preventing accidental opening at sea. The design of the opening transom door included a waterproof bulkhead foreward of the transom door and the aft lazarette floor was watertight, self bailing and well above waterline. You should be more specific with your proposed design modification and contact a naval architect to prove it seaworthiness

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.