Homebuilt vs Production

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by duluthboats, May 8, 2002.

1. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

At this time I'm not builing boats for an income. This is what I tell the many who ask the same queation.
    The larger the boat the less you can save. And you save nothing if you pay yourself skilled wages. But you can get much more than profit out of building your own boat. It might be a way to keep you out of the bar at night. Or maybe it’s something that you work on with your kids. The list is long. For me the end result is secondary. I do it for fun! :)
    Gary

2. RealityBoatCo

RealityBoatCo Junior Member

Thats what I tell people. I do it cause it makes me feel good.

3. lprimina

lprimina Senior Member

boat building is my hobbie, It is a lot better than going to a shrink for stress release. Plus I make about 50 cent an hour doing it.
    Ben

4. riggertroy

riggertroy Senior Member

Gary I could not agree more,
    I have taken on a hull to restore and the object was not to go sailing when finished but to enjoy the work and learning along the way, though once finished I'll get out sailing, maybe another year or two away.
    Troy

5. fede

fede Senior Member

Me too!

I'm starting a building project myself...hope I will be able to make it! and have fun as you guys have!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.