Early New Zealand launches.

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by tom kane, May 19, 2011.

1. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

The thread New Zealand Scows has turned up a lot of information about Scows. there must be lots of information also available about early launches.I am interested in Launches used on the Raglan and Aotea Harbours such as the one in the image which was used to tow flax barges in the Raglan Harbour.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. Dean Smith

Dean Smith Previous Member

Tom , you made me larf, how the fanny uncle charlie katy
    but when I was 13 I used to sail my P, P 38 up the Whakatane river and there on the bank was something, well more complete. It had the bronze shaft still in it and as a kid 13 I cut it out and and made drifts from it
    memories

3. tom kane

tom kane Senior Member

Thank`s for your reply.My friend and I investigated a burned out hull with shaft and propeller attached,I thought the prop would be well stuck on so did not bother to try to take it of but my friend just gave it a light tap and the prop fell off so he was better of with a 14 in bronze propeller.The inch and a half shaft is probably still there. there does not seem to be much information about smaller early work launches mostly expensive status boats.

4. watchkeeper

watchkeeper Previous Member

Scow dwgs

I have several sets of yard construction of various NZ built scow dwgs given me by an NA about 40yrs ago.
    All the dwgs are revised timber hull design, structure and mast/spar/rigging from original copies of details, dwg scraps etc put together by the NA, a keen historian of early NZ and Australian sailing vessels.

Also included were construction/rig dwgs for several schooners and trading ketch that did the South Pacific Islands/PNG run such as Noble's Top sail schooner Huia.

If anyone is interested in copies send a PM.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.