Jet Powered Kayak Question

Discussion in 'Jet Drives' started by BananaMan777, Nov 1, 2016.

1. BananaMan777

BananaMan777 Junior Member

Hello. I had a question regarding an equation for thrust. I am thinking about starting a project on converting my Hobie PA14 into a jet powered Kayak so I can maximize the distance covered, go shallower with out worrying about taking the drive unit out. I was thinking about using a 62lb thrust trolling motor for the power source and hook it up to a an impeller. I have a rudder on the kayak so I will probably not be using the turning nozzle, only the reverse bucket. I'm in the early stages of the design and just seeing if it was even practical. I was just curious if there was an equation to see how much thrust/ speed I would be able to get out of the motor if it is hooked up to an impeller and the water going through about a 2" opening with an impeller size being about 4". Here is the link to the trolling motor. http://newportvessels.com/electric-trolling-motor-62lb-thrust-saltwater-l-series/

Kayak info:
    13'8"
    145 lbs - dry
    375 lbs - loaded
    beam - 38"

Thank in advance for any helpful information.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.