Help!! I can't get my Jet Boat to plane

Discussion in 'Jet Drives' started by Blakeping, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Blakeping

Blakeping Junior Member

Similar to the other Regal Rush XP I can't get my 1995 Regal Rush Xp w/120hp sport jet to plane off. it just plows water at about 5mphs after a minute or so it will set up on plane and then will get upwards of 42mphs. I am curious if this could still be the same problem with the ride plate gasket or am I looking at a different issue. motor seems to run strong. the only thing i noticed was when I removed the intake grate to check for an obstruction it was clean and the prop looked fine but the washer?? just before the prop itself sticks our about 1/4 to 1/2 inch and is loose. ( i can wiggle it with my fingers) is this normal or could this be causing my prop to slip on the drive shaft? any suggestion would be very welcomed and appreciated.

2. USCGRET/E8

USCGRET/E8 Senior Chief

That sure sounds possible in that it sounds like a jet pump problem. You will need to tear it down and see what's up. There should be plenty of info for your pump on the net. Also, it's called an impeller, not a prop.

3. Blakeping

Blakeping Junior Member

If anyone has a Regal Rush Xp and could take a close up picture of there Nozzle and ride plate for comparison purposes i would appreciate it. Are they supposed to have a notch out of the nozzle and is the ride plate supposed to extend past the transom?

4. USCGRET/E8

USCGRET/E8 Senior Chief

Sorry I can't help you, my past experience is with Big Block engines and Berkeley pumps.

5. USCGRET/E8

USCGRET/E8 Senior Chief

Go to Google and put in a search for: Regal Rush Jet Boats...a lot of info comes up.

6. Kurt

Kurt New Member

pictures of jet drive

I have the service manual for my boat and to replace any parts on this drive looks like it would be very easy, it's like 8 screws to pull the ride plate. I took mine off to check it out, I used silicone around it just as a poor mans test to see if that was the problem. I did have a little difficulty putting the ride plate back on getting the holes to line back up I used a c-clamp on the very back to push the plate forward and it worked good. I still have not tested it but I don't expect that this will fix our problem. My boat cavitates as soon as you are under any kind of hard throttle. I could see a bad gasket giving you problems once on plane but not at a stand still. I have not actually measured the space between the impellar and the wear ring but you can see it. I would imagine 30 to 50 thousandths maybe more. When you first look at the impellar it looks great and so does the wear ring, but I think that gap is to great for the jet to work properly.
    I know I'm new to this web site but I've been around a jet boats almost all my life and I see from these postings you and I are not the only ones having this problem. I did come up with one company that will rebuild your wear ring and your impellar but they are up in Alberta Canada. countrysidesports.com and look under "specials" they show a plastic wear ring.
    Can't believe they isn't someone in the states doing this too but hey, what do I know.
    Kurt
    Ps Hope the pics turn out. If you need the pages of the manual or more pics maybe I can e-mail them straight to you? Let me know.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2007
  7. lowrange2

lowrange2 New Member

Wow, What a PITA to register!

Sorry for bringing up an old thread but it was right on my problem.

My '96 Regal Rush is doing the same thing as the OP described, Exactly. I suspect the wear ring. I do not have the original manual. The only boat mech. that I can find in the area is backed up for months!

I feel like I have the mechanical ability to do most anything so I think I'll give it a try. I suppose what I need to know from you guys is how much of a pain is it to replace the wear ring? And where can I source one from? Thanks a ton! Andy~

8. Blakeping

Blakeping Junior Member

J.b. Weld

I took off my wear ring and built it up with J.B. Weld. I just applied it in thin layers until it was very tight to the impeller. Once I put it back in the Water I was pulling Skiers without any problem. The bad news is that same day (my first day on the boat) I hit an unmarked rock. the insurance company totaled it so I am now without a boat again. but I would give the J.B Weld a try even if you want a new wear ring the JB Weld would tell you if that is your problem. GOOD LUCK!!

9. jetrush2

jetrush2 New Member

Make sure all screws are in the ride plate. Make sure the gasket around the ride plate is good. The rear adjustment screws should be down about 1/2 to 3/4 inch from the body for a Regal Rush. This can cause a gap between the the ride plate and the back of the grate that allows air in. To solve this, support the ride plate with a jack just in front of the rear corners of the inlet grate cutout. (remove the two rear adjusting screws so not to break them) Bend the ride plate down to create about 3/4 inch clearance between the ride plate and the adjusting screw mount on the stator. Do this for both sides. Replace the Adjusting screws and be sure to have adjusting stop nuts on the top side of the ride plate. This will make your Rush jump right up on plane. Also a note: the curved area between the two adjusting screws at the rear of the ride plate often gets pushed back upwards by bumping on rocks. You may want to add a hard rubber bushing between the center of the ride plate and the stator. (don't use a steel spacer).

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.