Need help picking a boat design

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by JonnyBoat, Sep 13, 2020.

1. JonnyBoat

JonnyBoat Junior Member

I'm looking for a design thats good for 4 people but occasionally 6 on calm days, 16'-18', less than 800 lbs with deck and center console. I'd like to power it with something around a 40 hp and will handle well in the bays and rivers of midcoast Maine. Preferably plywood construction. I can handle complex but would just assume it was a simple build. I like the lines of skiffs and dorys with high bows and lots of freeboard. Mostly a family (me, wife and two young kids) cruising boat but will probably haul a few lobster traps from time to time.

I bought plans for a Spira international dory but began to wonder if there might be better designs out there.

Thanks!
    John

2. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Bateau c19 comes to mind.

3. JonnyBoat

JonnyBoat Junior Member

Thanks for pointing me to Bateau. The c19 might be a bit more boat than I want but the Fast skiff 17 might fit the bill. I have a 3 and 5 axis wood router CNC at work so I'm liking the way they are built.

4. JonnyBoat

JonnyBoat Junior Member

Looks like seating might be tight with a center console but maybe some kind of configuration in the bow might get me 4?

5. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

4 in a 17 is a realistic max for fishing; you can probably get 6 or 7 on the rating plate

6. JonnyBoat

JonnyBoat Junior Member

That sounds about perfect. If I ever had more that 4 it would just be for a scenic ride on the lake. I think it will fit on the trailer I already own so that is a big plus.

7. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Is the boat you have bought plans for, flat-bottomed ? Such boats are more of a punishment, than a pleasure, in anything other than a dead calm, there is a case to be made for flat bottom rowing, or slow speed dories, but in planing boats, should be banned by law ! They are simply, not sea-kindly, and especially for women and children. Here's one that I have posted before, and incidentally have no connection with, or any financial interest in promoting, but it would be a universe apart from flat-bottom horrors. I'm not even sure the plans are still available, but can find out fairly easily.
    BlisscraftOceaneer_Lines_LRG.jpg

bajansailor likes this.
  8. JonnyBoat

JonnyBoat Junior Member

The plans I bought are for a flat bottom dory. I had planned to power it with my 15 hp and upgrade to a bigger motor later but I've decided I'd rather build something with some v in it and get a bigger motor.

What size motor would be needed to power that boat?

9. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

40 hp would be OK, but 70 would be better. They used to run with old 40's decades ago, and the modern 40 has more power, being prop rated. They are only a moderate vee, about 14 degrees, so don't need big HP.

10. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

fs17 - 25hp min

she has 25 dr at the cut and 3.5 at the tr