Refinishing Hull

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by RufNutt, Jan 8, 2013.

1. RufNutt

RufNutt Junior Member

Actually this was the first time I had a chance to see what my fairing looks like and I am actually happy with my work . I was doing everything by eye and feel. Yes I was trying to keep the chemical bond .Time to break out some sandpaper and clean it up before I carry on.

Well I am up in the air on what product to use to finish it. Maybe vivid on the bottom below the water line and perfection on the top. I was trying to stick with one brand but all interlux has is the vcm performance epoxy and I hear it needs buffing to keep from staining. I don't want an antifouling paint I have to do each year. This boat will be stored on a trailer. Maybe awl grip.

Any suggestion would be appreciated. I am thinking of trying the roll and tip finish. Will be easier for me to maintain down the road. I was looking at a few sailboats at the marina as they are prepping them for the season, and was impressed with the finish on the ones that have been redone with roll and tipping method.Nobody knew what paint they used.

Thanks again Par

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The 2 pack route is the best choice, though also the most costly and difficult. Your care and application seems to be up for the job, so go with Perfection. I would take a long board to her one last time, in a diagonal cross hatch, the full length of the tops sides at least, while out in the sunlight. 220 grit, wet would be my usual "sunlight check", as many flaws can be seen where inside the shop you missed them. If this passes without waves, humps and hollows, remove the scratch with a slightly higher grit (wet), the get 'er painted.

3. RufNutt

RufNutt Junior Member

Are you suggesting I go with perfection below and above the waterline? I know a lot of people do with great success.

Any suggestions on primer?

Also for the roll and tip method is it recommended to go with the west system rollers? I have not found any good rollers that I would use for a primer or finish up here.

Just waiting for barrier coat to sit for a few days while I order some paint for her.

Thanks again

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I don't recommend anything else but a true epoxy primer (two part). If having doubt about rollers, use what you know will work, so if West is what you can get, well . . .

Rollers for a primer can be anything, as you'll sand much of this off in the smoothing process. Even the last coat, once you have the primer smooth, will be "toothed" up with paper so, you don't need to be real anal about roll and tipping the primer.

Perfection is a 2 pack and though a very good product, it's also costly and more difficult to apply well, compared to other types of paint. Which you eventually use needs to be waved against cost, painting conditions, etc.