Reference books

Discussion in 'Metal Boat Building' started by StrandedMariner, Oct 31, 2007.

1. StrandedMariner

StrandedMariner Steelboatsailor

I am looking for some good reference books on building steel boats, and outfitting in general. I did some research on the book store of this site, on Amazon etc., and found there are quite a lot of books out there written on these subjects. This does not really make my choice easier :confused:

I am wondering if some of the experienced builders here could give me a recommendation on what is useful to read?

Thanks in advance,
    Andreas

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Try Nigel Calder's " Boatowners Mechanical and Electrical Manual".
    If you honestly reckon it was not worth buying I will give you back your money!

3. StrandedMariner

That is a book I will definitely buy! A friend of mine lent me his copy, and I decided this book to be a 'must have'.

4. Milan

Milan Senior Member

For a steel boatbuilding, depends what are your intentions. If you just want to build yourself a boat and need down to earth, practical advice, without learning sciences of metallurgy, material strength and physics first, buy Brent Swains book and Alex Christie's DVD's. (And read the forum). http://groups.yahoo.com/group/origamiboats/ If you are in to traditional boats, Thomas Colvin's books are also full of practical advises.

5. Trevlyns

Trevlyns Senior Citizen/Member

6. Gilbert

Gilbert Senior Member

7. StrandedMariner

@Milan
    Thanks a lot! I will check Thomas Colvin's books out for sure.

@Trevlyns
    Yes, Wynands web site is very informative. It was very useful pointing me in the right direction (actually I found this forum through him). Thanks!

@Gilbert
    Thanks for the link. I will check it out.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.