Reduction gearbox

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by martinwill, Sep 14, 2007.

1. martinwill

martinwill Junior Member

I have a 2:1 reduction hurth gearbox, but is not suitable for my boat according to various prop calculators, it needs to be more towards 1:1, can the gearbox ratios be changed by changing the internal gears ? or is it a new box or higher reving engine :confused:

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

What model is it?

3. martinwill

martinwill Junior Member

hurth ratio

Its a HBW10-2R its the external same dimmensions as a HBW150/ZF15M which come in a 1.6:1 reduction.
    Also the HBW100 comes in a 1.48:1 reduction which should fit my adaptor plate
    Will purchase one of the above (2nd hand) if one turns up as i have been told it would be cheaper than replacing gears.All this just to get the right prop for the boat as the prop calculators available on the net surjest a 5 blade prop.
    Its a 17 foot full displacement fishing boat, waterline 16 foot, weight about 1 ton, 2000 max rpm, 16.5hp, 2:1 reduction(at present) with a max diameter prop of 13.5 inches.
    Any help appreciated

4. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Dunno if a 1:1 tranny is direct (as opposed to going through a layshaft), but if so, it would be more efficient (10-15%) by virtue of the direct shafting alone.
    More reason then to search for a 1:1 ratio. Five blades seems unnecessary with 1:1, or did you mean with your current 2:1 set-up?

Alan

5. martinwill

martinwill Junior Member

Yes Alan the 5 blade prop would be needed with its current box at 2:1 (according to prop calculator at castlemarine.co.uk) , with a 1.5:1 reduction i can run a 13.5x11.75 3 blade prop 64%DAR (disc area ratio), i would rather change the ratio in my current box but will purchase a new one at a push and will stick to hurth so i dont have to change the mounting plate, which would be hard to get for my old Petter PH2W
    I need to know if hbw150 or hbw100 parts fit my hbw10-2r or are any other make boxes interchangable with hurth mountings:confused:

6. mike price

mike price New Member

Hbw 100-2r

Hi Does Anyone Have Any Experienc With A Hbw 100 Box Lagging When Engaging Gear Please. It Is In A Narrow Boat Paired To A Betamarine 2cyl. When Either Foreward Or Reverse Is Engaged There Is A Delay Before Take Up . Sometimes It Takes 3 To 6 Seconds To Change,, Thanks Mike

7. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

Martinwill, Most Gearboxes, other than 1:1, have an extension containing the reduction gears. In order to go to 1:1, you would need to remove the Extension and most likely install a rear seal, Thrust Bearings and Hub. Probably alot easier and less expensive to change Gear ratios, if you have access to inexpensive gears.

Jango

8. mike price

mike price New Member

Thank you jango. i am not sure i know what you mean , i will try and find a manual on the net somewhere,

9. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

Mike, unless you are also Martinwill, You should start a New trend with your questions. Makes it kind of confusing.

10. martinwill

martinwill Junior Member

hurth gear ratios

Thanks for that Jango, (Martinwill here this time !!) i have never been inside a hurth box, but i will certainly look into going to a 1:1 reduction as that would suit my boat fine.
    I have not got access to cheap parts but will search suppliers, for the parts you mentioned, seal, thrust bearing and hub, any other thoughts please contact me and thanks.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.