Questions about an Eska 7.5 hp

Discussion in 'Props' started by Bike and a boat, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Bike and a boat

Bike and a boat Junior Member

I just recently launched a Steve Lewis design Chugger, modified to 15 feet. I have a 7.5 hp Eska, circa 1970 ish? It is air cooled, in good overall shape as well. The throttle is NOT a twist grip, it is mounted on the motor head itself, and the entire head swivels around 180 degrees to achieve reverse power.

I am trying, without success, to find out what type gear oil to use on it, as well as how to change said gear oil. I am a woodworker by trade, so some of this is rather new to me!

Any advice would be appreciated!

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

As always, a manual is a good thing to have when working on any engine. As for the gear oil, run of the mill outboard gearcase oil should suffice. There should be two screws on the side of the lower part of the leg, if so, the bottom drains the oil out and the top one acts as a breather so it can run out easily. Check the old oil is dark, if its milky or creamy water has got in and repairs are needed. The best way to fill is via a squeeze bottle nozzle inserted into the lower screw opening, while the top screw is out, when the oil level reaches the top screw hole level, screw the top screw plug in, withdraw the squeeze bottle nozzle and immediately insert bottom plug.

3. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

My recollection is the Eska engines use a 90 wt hypoid for mechanical shift outboards.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  4. Bike and a boat

I am struck that it's a pretty good engine, very lightweight and I like the air cooled aspect of it as well. I thank you both for your input here, I shall go forth and make it happen!

5. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I've never seen one of these, but an air-cooled engine is usually noisy.

6. Bike and a boat

I used it for the first time about 3 weeks ago when I launched my Chugger boat, I wasn't struck badly by the noise of it at all. Perhaps when it gets a longer workout next week, I might get some earplugs, we shall see!