reduce catamaran beam

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by brendan gardam, Feb 11, 2020.

1. brendan gardam

brendan gardam Junior Member

old multi, this must be the modified boat you were thinking of. i looked at 1 on gumtree with the fibreglass tubes. mine has metal saddle clamps attaching the beams to the hulls. it also has rear entry and sliding hatchs to the cabins like a conventional yacht cabin.

2. brendan gardam

you have got me thinking , if its a one off maybe i should not alter it.

3. brendan gardam

4. oldmulti

oldmulti Senior Member

Brendan. The rear entries on the hulls are an advantage, keep them. The cross beams appears to be standard tubes. If you can source a standard 6 meter section of the tube with the same diameter and wall thickness cut it in half and you have a 3 meter wide cat. I would keep the original tubes full length if you want to sell the cat or you find you want more stability etc. The side rigging will have to be shortened or buy 2 new stays. Hopefully you will have a 10 foot wide cat you can trail and sail easily. Hope this helps.

5. brendan gardam

good advice. thank you.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.