Difference between Japanese boat and American boat

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by hyboats, Aug 9, 2010.

1. hyboats

hyboats Junior Member

Like visiting boat shows, I found that the Nissan fishing boat is completely different with Trophy. The hull of Nissan fishing is very soft and light, trophy hull is rigid and heavy. When I knock trophy hull with hand, my hand ache:p
    Which one is better :confused: :confused:

2. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

I wonder how many Nissan light flexible boats have been in 10 foot seas... Which do you think will fail first.

3. mark775

mark775 Guest

The only "Trophy" I know of is a Bayliner Trophy. Are we presenting this as our American representitive? I have always been the first to defend Bayliner as having more features for the dollar but the name says it all - Bay-liner. Used for what they shud be intended, they are a great boat. These boats, neither, are to be taken far from a harbor of safe refuge. I had a bit of a time finding a Nissan. I'm sure it's fine, too. We need boats like these for a certain demographic and I applaud the manufacturers for this and leading us to technology that can be adapted to more sea-going craft.

4. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

True Mark, but like a Macgregor 26, a fine boat if used as intended, they should have warning labels attached. Something like this:

Don't take outside the area you feel you can get tow or swim from.
    Boat can be swamped if you lose power.
    Every component was provided by the low bidder.
    We used the least amount of fiberglass that we could get away with.
    Your anchor is inadequate. Your bilge pump is grossly undersized.
    You have no fuel filtration system. Inadequate access to bilge.
    We have used non-marine wood everywhere. The cleats are too small and not well attached.
    The carpeting we use will soon stink, and innards of your chairs will soon rot because we could have sued the right product but decided to save $200.
    Your hardware is all chrome plate junk and will self destroy in a soon as warrantee expire.
    Your trailer components are equally crappy but dont worry you will replacing them soon.
    Yeah, you will be replacing a a lot soon. That is why I sell thousands of dollars in boat stuff to people with cheap boats.

You get what you pay for but in boat you wont quality stuff not more gadgets.

5. mark775

mark775 Guest

You own a chandlery? - and you sell Perko. Not every lockset is a Trioving. Not every engine is a Deutz. I think options are good and open the world to people other than the wealthy or professionals (I don't have enuf room on my boat for everybody!).
    Also, let's hear it for the innovators in mass production. Where wud the world be without Ford's factory insight, without Bayliner's BTI? Who amongst us in GRP production or repair isn't happy that Bayliner invented combination fabrics to speed their assembly process?

6. peter radclyffe

peter radclyffe Senior Member

well done for telling us the truth, thank you