ICW & Great Loop Boat for two people

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Jack of all Trades, Jan 7, 2023.

1. Jack of all Trades

Jack of all Trades Junior Member

Here's an idea for a small protected water Crusier. Just enough space for 2 people to travel comfortably from Port to Port.
    You may think you need more room but the boat has plenty of storage space and room for water & fuel tanks
    I've been inspired by the work of Tad Roberts and George Beuhler so the boat is a mixture of their work.

Look at the pictures and then give your opinions.

Attached Files:

2. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

The stern galley is interesting, but it completely erases any possibility of open deck space.
    Occupants of the vessel are confined to enclosed space at all times, looks like it would be miserable in warm weather.

fallguy likes this.
  3. Jack of all Trades

Jack of all Trades Junior Member

There's a butterfly hatch over the galley and a large hatch with a fan in the head. Pilot House cabin windows can be opened.
    There's plenty of ventilation.

I tried 4 different galley arrangements and the one in the picture is the best, it provides the most open area.

4. seasquirt

seasquirt Senior Member

A holiday cruise trapped inside all the time, no matter what, peeking out of windows, in a floating cell. Ok. So you have rudder problems, can't access it, need to steer with the emergency tiller, where will it go and swing ? Your anchor has problems at the bow, what are you going to do there ? A slow collision is about to occur, how do you fend away the other boat, jetty, pier, channel marker ? Someone or something needs recovery from the water, how do you do that ? If you have no room or access to do anything, you can't do anything. Fishing out of a window ? Sitting outside is a simple joy when conditions allow. How long can you live in your car without getting out to stretch your arms and legs and get some fresh air, with the porta potty close by ? The picture looks nice though.

fallguy likes this.
  5. comfisherman

comfisherman Senior Member

Little more window ventilation aft could make that galley doable. Beef the rail a smidgen on the bow and maybe put one aft, make sure the roof is stout enough both aft and the bow so you have ne hesitancy moving around up top. Might be ideal to reinforce it well enough to use as tie up points. I'd add some decent stairs or we'll layed out ladders to access the bow, preferably on the same side so movement between each is simplified. Changing vertical plane is not bad as long as it doesn't require port or stbd crossover.

I'd carry good bouys and double the guard rail width, nothing worse then having it contact a dock or piling when waked.

6. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

So, I looked at the plans before reading the comments.

The main purpose for doing the Loop is watching the changing scenery and being able to be outside in nice weather. This boat offers a bare minimum of both of these, or closer to none sitting outside.

Then it looks like the head is a ducker and I wondered about showering.

Placing a dinghy in front of the windows makes sightseeing less.

And the inside helm has poor visibility with the high bow and dinghy and none aft unless I am mistaken.

You would feel very trapped in this boat and really it is not needed.

Coastal Cruiser https://www.glen-l.com/Coastal-Cruiser/products/732/

bajansailor likes this.
  7. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

8. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

There are stretches of the Loop where you need the ability of 12 mph or wait for a few days of good weather for safety purposes in some type boats . I would think the barge would one of those type boat,s in the Gulf of Mexico run and areas of the Great Lakes , and at 12' beam you can't trailer it . Tad Roberts has other plans that are not only more suited to the ICW / Loop , but designed for your two person trip . To some extent you are going to pay by the pound for a boat build , 26'l 12' b or 31'l 8'6 b disp cost will be apples to apples . You are trying to cram a lot into a 26' boat and are perhaps looking too much at the wide beam . Tad has the Lambert 28 which is designed for the basic,s of a 2 person Loop trip , and I bet it would cheaper to build than the barge even if scaled up a little , you will still be below the desired speed ability of 12 mph . The Wedge Point 27 and Wedge Point 31 with lower hp would be closer to the sweet spot , price difference in build between one of them and the barge may or may not justify the higher price that comes with more hp .

bajansailor and fallguy like this.
  9. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

This is more like the work of your inspirations -(368) HABER 660C2 sailing yacht 2021 - YouTube
    (368) HABER 620 nice sailing in light wind on the lake - YouTube

The proportions of your design favor beam for reasons I can't imagine unless you intend to make it plane in rare instances. Light and long is the way to go in a long distance protected waters power cruiser. To me your proportions suggest you value "cute" or "stunt".

10. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

I think if you are going to take advantage of the beam and retain the length without scaling up you need to play with a forward galley and head with your birth in the stern . The location of your stairs off center causes a lose of space , you should think of what you can shift fore and aft , and keep your stairs centered . You would have to scale way up to meet a 12 mph requirement , but if you can compromise with 6.8 mph disp speed , and layup in sheltered waters until weather is suitable to make any run over open water , you will be good .

11. rberrey

rberrey Senior Member

I just looked at the boat as per designed , it already has a stern berth , two sleeping cabins , build it as per designed , or build your galley in place of the forward berth and you have what you want . It will do for much of the Great Loop , great for two people . Some Loop advice from an observer , I worked on replacing a RR bridge on the Mobile River , the RR Employee in Charge was close to retirement , he said one day " always two dudes in those little sailboats never a dude and a woman " I ask him what he meant . He said that in all his years on the river the small boat almost without exception , have one or two dudes and no woman . I would take that into consideration when picking a boat design .

fallguy likes this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.