Redesigned Barge 26 by Tad Robert's

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Jack of all Trades, Jan 4, 2023.

1. Jack of all Trades

Jack of all Trades Junior Member

I've been living in the Pittsburgh PA area since 2012 . The rivers here connect to the Great Loop which is an item I'd like to scratch off my bucket list.

Looking over many designs of famous designers I've come to like Tad Robert's work. I hope he doesn't mind me reworking his drawings to suit my idea of a great little boat.

Starting with his Barge 26 design I've tweaked the drawings I found online into a small live aboard Crusing Houseboat.

Let me know what you think about it.

Attached Files:

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Welcome to the Forum Jack.

Sorry, I am a bit dense, but what have you 'tweaked' to Tad's drawing, apart from adding the sections with dimensions in 'Alt 2'?

I think you might get more opinion and comment if you post your thoughts on Tad's Facebook page - he posts something new on there every day, and he has a large and enthusiastic following.
    Tad Roberts https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009398593049

Edit - I think you are using this drawing on Tad's website for reference?
    Marjorie 26' House Barge ~ Small Boat Designs by Tad Roberts http://www.tadroberts.ca/services/small-boats/barge/marjorie26

Tad Roberts barge26-S.jpg

Here is a copy of your sketch for comparison -

Barge 26 Pilot House Alt - Jack's version.jpg

Just a thought re your layout shown for the aft cabin - it looks rather optimistic to me.
    I don't think that any average sized person will be able to squeeze into the aft seat of the dinette, and you will only have a very limited amount of standing headroom re the galley opposite.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2023
  3. Jack of all Trades

My mistake I should have added his original drawing of Marjorie 26 along with my changes.

Attached Files:

4. Jack of all Trades

There is 6ft 1in headroom in the galley, 27.5 inches between the galley counters in front of the range and I've redrawn the table area making it flush to the starboard hull 50 inches long and will use two 18 inch diameter bar stools in front of the table.

It will be cozy in there for 2 people but you won't spend all day there either. One person
    Can sit at the table while the other cooks.
    The forward cabin is the same size as in Marjorie 26. The Pilot House lost the sofa over the galley and passageway in exchange for a 28 inch wide deck on both sides of the Pilot House, which will make boarding, docking and navigating canal locks easier.

In port most time will be used to explore the whatever sites restaurants and other places in the area.

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.