Outrigger Poles

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Katoh, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Katoh

Katoh Senior Member

Hi to All
    I am planning on making a pair of outrigger poles for my boat, I have looked at whats on the market, and consider them to be over my budget, especially for something that would not be used that often.
    I have searched other posts and forums and have basically the theory nutted, materials that were considered were Beach rod blanks, still a little pricey, also my not have enough rigidity, bamboo is another option say in a 35mm tube at around 3.8-4m in length, but I have thought Aluminum may be my best solution.
    I was think to use 3 different size's of CHS(circular hollow section) a 32x6 (1.1/3"x1/4") a 25.4x3 (1"x1/8") and a 19x2 (3/4"x2/25"). I would cut each length into 5 sections, each piece being 1.3m (4.1/4') in length. Each piece would fit in tight into the other, I would overlap 50mm (2") then fully seem weld.
    What we should have is a 3.8m (12.1/2') solid one piece tapered outrigger pole. I can make 5 poles from the 3 lengths of CHS. Only need 2 but if anyone local wants a pair, they can have a set at cost.
    My Question would you change the size of any of the sections, do you think the sizes are adequate, or is this a try it and see what happens experiment.
    Katoh

2. peterAustralia

peterAustralia Senior Member

hello

you have a sailing boat or a motor boat?
    What volume outriggers do you have?

Outrigger poles, are you talking fishing rods, or multihull crossbeams

25mm, I have used those, but they are only adequate for small boats. What I did was use cheap mop handles, epoxy the outside, and bang them into the 25mm aluminum tube.

End result is something a lot stiffer and stronger, for only a modest increase in weight. The dowels end up an almost perfect fit for the 25mm aluminium tubes.

The good thing about 25mm alum tubes is that it can be bought at any hardware store and is cheap

poles, - normal name is crossbeams or akas

3. Katoh

Katoh Senior Member

Sorry should have clarified earlier, There to go onto a motor boat, to be used for game fishing. Boat size is 20'.
    Cheers
    Katoh

4. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Check out professional painters roller extention poles. These are made from heavy fiberglass tubing.---Geo.

5. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

That's just the boat length. Is it a canoe or an IO? With aluminum tubing there is no need to weld. Bolt the pieces together like a hang glider wing spar. If you can use .058" wall thickness they fit together. Probably ought to put the bolt holes horizontal, debur all the holes (inside too) and use a jig to insure perfect alignment. 6061T6 is what they use for hang gliders. 2024 corrodes too much and 5000 series is not that strong. Wood is more flexible but not space age light. I'm watching this as I'm going to put OR on my freight canoe.

6. Katoh

Katoh Senior Member

The Boat's an Aluminum Inboard or I/O diesel, from what I gather all CHS is 6XXX series as it is an extruded section. The sises I have chose will fit into each other with 0.5mm clearance, I thought of welding only because I'm doing that much of it at the moment, and all the gear is out. Only takes a couple of seconds to run a bead around a seem.

7. Katoh

Katoh Senior Member

I have drawn a little sketch, to show what I'm planning, A picture tells a thousand word saying again. Scale is accurate at 1;10 and 1;100 I believe.

Attached Files:

8. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Welded Tubes?

Welding the 6061T6 will remove most of the strength at the weld. T6 is the heat treating specification. If you weld it the area of and beside the weld will be T0 which is much less strong. Why don't you just use a straight tube? Less work, stronger, cheaper in welding rod and time. The corrosion resistance of the 6061 can be compromised by the welding, since you will not really know exactly what the material is after welding. Are you trying to get lighter weight? With the overlaps at the joints you won't get much reduction. If you are going to pay for the aluminum, avoid reinforcing with a wood dowel. Just get the next wall thickness of tube. It will be lighter and stronger. The only place for a dowel is at the butt if you need to keep the end from crushing where it is inserted into the holder.

9. Carteret

Carteret Senior Member

SOP for riggers is: length of rigger poles = 75% of boat lenght. When fully erect, rigger tips should be plumb with transom.

10. Katoh

Katoh Senior Member

The reason for the tapering is more aesthetically appealing more than anything, hanging to broom sticks either side is not me. I realize it wont do much to the weight but it will bring the balance point down to around the 1/4 span making it much easier to handle from the base. This vessel is trailered so you will be forever handling them, on and off, up and down.
    The reason for the 12' riggers not 15's is they will fit nicely on the deck when trailing and in storage. No need to tie down or have them overhanging some part of the boat.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.