Ganges water taxi

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by bazza g, Jan 5, 2012.

1. bazza g

bazza g Junior Member

Hi forum , I am a new voice here, and have a project to run by the pundits assembled . That project is to obtain,either new or used a water taxi to run a daily tourist ride from Calcutta to the town of Mayapura a distance of aproximatly 90 miles and return. To be feasable 3 hours each way is quick enough. I am talking about running it up the Ganges with perhaps one very quick stop enroute. I am thinking a cat hull in the 40 foot range, twin inbourd desiels coupled to jet drives . So a hull large enough to seat 30 persons a toilet, a/c essential for summer.The vessel should look modern,of this century and styling and with a wake signiture that wont cause erosion concerns. The Indian Govt look kindly on things built locally. Any thoughts swirling about greatly appreciated. Bazza g

2. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

3. xrudi

xrudi Rudi Scholz

Use a simple surface drive like "Levi Drives" for your industrial application.
    Best Regards
    Rudi

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Running at 30 knots will have a substantial "wake signature" to say the least. This assumes 3 hours in each direction. A 30 passenger craft that can traverse this distance (round trip) is nearly unreasonable, though with enough money and completely forgetting about any environmental impact (wake included) it could be done. Of course, blasting along at 60 knots for 3 hours will have a huge impact on every aspect of the design, crew and passengers.

Naturally, for a craft of this scale, you'll need a professional, possably a team of professionals and bring a big check book.

5. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

You are not kidding about the cheque book bit , Construction would be best in Aluminium to i would think !.Fuel usage would be huge over a month so runninig cost could be crippling . The wake would piss the locals off and set them against you so should have to rethink about the speed thing .
    Nice project with a big BUT !!:D

6. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

He requires to travel 90 miles in 3 hours, so thats 30mph which is hardly hareing along. Maybe a sea sled type hull would suit to keep the wake down.

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The only way to keep the wake down in to make a longer hull.

8. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I am thinking the divergent waves, would be the most erosive to the river bank, rather than the transverse train in the direction of travel ? On a winding river, perhaps not. Does not a sea sled produce less of the former type of wave than other vessels ?

9. bazza g

bazza g Junior Member

thanks for the responses gentleman,point about pissing of the locals with undue wake highly pertinent ,locals use small wooden punt like craft for fishing etc and to much wake could upset those craft. Nets a problem plus much other stuff floating down river seemingly all the time, all kinds of stuff! the real average speed would have to be 30 mph with achievable top end of 40 to make the averages work . My thought on waterjets was to avoid injesting or contact damage to the propellors. Ganges is quite wide so room to avoid obstacles and keep to the centreline. the bank line is constantly changing with natural erosion. Ganges has quite a bit of current at all times, especially after monsoon. Wats a sea sled? Or is it as the name implies flat side to side, .The requirment of an average of 30 mph average isnt set in stone but thats how long an auto trip would take, on a road from hell with the worst imaginable drivers. Very dangerousand boring. Anice flat ride on that great river would for many be a once in a lifetime experience and worth paying the extra.

10. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

after you done this for a few weeks it only wants the government to slap a speed limit on the river /boats over XX ft and you are stuffed why not go one way one day a bit slower say 20 kts send passengers by bus back to base and then do a reverse trip the next day.......seen this done in australia boat one way 4x4 the other

11. masalai

masalai masalai

Only other option I can think of is a hovercraft - another "fat-wallet-project".......

Sadly because the one way trip could be interesting, as suggested by 'pistnbroke'...

Get a two or 5 year partnership guarantee from the Government?

12. masalai

masalai masalai

The concept was sitting in the back of my mind and the only "compromise" that may suit is the "Brisbane City-cat" - There are quite a few of them and they run a regular ferry service on the Brisbane River... They appear to make very little wash type waves but the pressure wave is quite strong but not readily seen by non-boating types :eek: :D They do some 50 odd KMH (30 mph) and are not open water use...

Attached Files:

13. bazza g

bazza g Junior Member

Hi Masali. I know the water cats or rivercats in Bris,I think they are 2 big for my use but certainly dont seem to leave much wake,is that because of their apparently long hulls? They look very fast, must be half the battle right there. do these Bris cats run water jets,seems to be very little commotion at the stern, the tunnel looks very low no need for height as the Bris river is very sedate, not so the Ganga which always seems to be moving at a real clip. I looked at the Tennesee valley explorer .Designed I think by Technicraft NZ looked very cool with plenty speed but seemed to me a fair wake. back to the Bris cats their hulls look very slender,very wide boat also so i dont think they are getting much lift from the tunneleffect, I have no real idea what that really is. Thanks Bazza.

14. masalai

masalai masalai

From across the river (when they are on slips for servicing? ) they appear to have large 5 blade screws. Any boats (about the same size or smaller - roll quite significantly as the ferry passes, but the visible type wake one expects to see on a displacing or planning monohull do not show... They do about 50 kmh (30 mph) No tunnel effect and no visible squat on powering up... Somewhat overpowered as they attain cruise speed in 3 to 5 boat-lengths... Of occasion when the river "floods" and lots of debris (water hyacinth) get washed downstream the ferries are taken out of service... The cats operate in displacement mode only as the criteria was to minimise wake and go at a fair clip...

http://www.brisbaneferries.com.au/fleet for the managing operator and some specifications... The Third Generation CityCats were built by Norman Wright, who may have further info and designer information...

You can view the ferry fleet here to see passenger loading details and general operating specifications. We welcome you to email admin@brisbaneferries.com.au if you would like to know more about the fleet.

15. markcrete

markcrete New Member

30 on the Ganga

Hey Bazza, does it have to be a jet? For years hydrofoils ran in sydney harbour. High speed, low wake, large fuel bill but great fun to travel on and to look at. Love to take the trip one day. Hope you can make it happen.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.