First Time Fiberglassing-advice please

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by BlacK_Blade, May 28, 2011.

1. BlacK_Blade

BlacK_Blade Junior Member

I have just purchased a small 15 foot tri hull fiberglass boat, a Steury I believe is the name of it. I noticed the ridge going down the middle at the bow area is rather scuffed up and was thinking to pick up a small fiberglass kit to touch this area up. I am concerned that left as it, the area might allow water to soak into the fibers of the hull etc and of course to make the hull look nicer.

I have never attempted using fiberglass before, but am sure I can figure it out. Is there any advice or pointers that anyone can give me before I tackle this. The boat is too large to flip over or anything...at best I will try and prop up the bow on the trailer to have been access to the area.

Any help and thoughts appreciated.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

If it is only cosmetic, you can use a filler and then match the color. Some of the gelcoat touch up kits are a soft putty that doesn't work well. It is only for very minor scratches. An epoxy like MarineTex will adhere well and is thick enough to hold in place while it cures. Sand the area and clean it with acetone or alcohol first.