Red Cedar Planking sources

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Tonio, Oct 6, 2009.

1. Tonio

Tonio New Member

Hi,
    I'm restoring a 1950 Old Town lapstrake square stern and need to find some clear red cedar to re-plank the bottom. The boat was originally planked with solid 1/2" clear red cedar. Can anyone direct me to a source - preferably on the East Coast - where I can buy stock?

Thanks
    Tonio

2. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

Cedar

We have numerous mills here on Prince of Whales Island (NW of Ketchikan) I see nobody responded to your post so I can connect you with people that can cut whatever you want (Yellow Cedar too) but I can't imagine it being economical to ship. Could (however) get it cheaply to Seattle on Northland Barge lines. Let me know if you want to kick that around.

Easy Rider

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Unless it is a cosmetic issue, you can substitue it with juniper which is availble locally

4. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Substitute Atlantic White cedar, or, Port Orford cedar, or cypress. Check lumber yards for decking materials and you may see one of the above species show up.

5. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

Cedar

All of them very good wood and excellent substitutes however none are, in my opinion, even very close to Red Cedar for beauty when varnished. Admittedly biased though.

Easy Rider

6. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

If someone's restoring a 1950 Old Town lapstrake, I guarantee cosmetics are an issue.:p

7. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

I mean that unless it is varnished the difference in color won't make a difference.

8. Tonio

Tonio New Member

Old Town Restoration

Hi Easy Rider,
    Thanks for the reply. In view no one had answered, I decided to look around for some Cypress which is abundant here in Florida. There is a mill in Jacksonville (about 40 miles from me) which specializes in Cypress and can mill it any way I want it. Can't beat the price either. Since then, someone made me an offer on the boat that I couldn't refuse - so I sold it. I'll live happily ever after with my recently restored 1958 Lyman.

The shipping cost alone for Western Red Cedar from your area would have been horrendous, but I thank you again for your response.

Regards
    Tonio

9. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

I know what you meant; I just couldn't pass up the opportunity for a cheap shot. The Devil made me do it....:)

10. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Try Spanish cedar too, or luan. These look more like mahogany (but they will be attractive) and there is a lot of weight variation (from light as red cedar to heavy as oak) between heartwood, sapwood, and different trees. I would guess either wood is available in Fla.