Diesel-electric Propulsion-please help

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Tomas, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Tomas

Tomas Guest

Hello. I am trying to convert a 42foot flybridge convertible into a diesel electric system. I am trying to find an electric engine that outputs 343kW. Does anyone know any good companies that produce electric engines suitable for a boat of that size or a place where I will be able to find one?

2. Go5Go

Go5Go Junior Member

Fast Electric Yachts

Tomas:

You could try the guys at Fast Electric Yacht Systems www.feys.org. They are out of Houston TX USA. They have full systems that would support your sized system. They have had a couple of installations written up, one which the president sent me from "Passage Maker". I wish I remembered all the details, they are at the office at the moment. They adapted their system from a system originally developed by Seimens for Buses. They even have a formula for calculating what system you need to convert.

Make sure you take some good numbers performance/efficiency numbers before the conversion for comparison... It could be very interesting to see!

Good luck.. and keep us informed on your transformation! I am very interested in the Diesel Electric (and any other alternative power) for getting people from A to B...

3. nemo

nemo Naval Architect

Yes, I'm very interested, too.. even if I'm studying diesel/electric propulsion for large ships, where you get the greatest advantages...
    What are the reason for installing it on a yacht? reduced noise, electric energy production?
    Anyway check also www.abb.com , I don't know if they have something so "smal" :)

4. User_U

User_U Junior Member

Dear Tomas,

'Northern-Lights' has a Range of electric engines I think up to 500 kW - but have your own view at http://www.northern-lights.com/

greets, Udo

5. MarkC

MarkC Senior Member

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.