Can You Identify These Catamaran Hulls??

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by CatBuilder, Jul 27, 2009.

1. CatBuilder

CatBuilder Previous Member

These are 31 ft long, apparently. They are obviously made to accept a bridge deck.

The guy passed away and I can get these hulls for next to nothing. They've been outside for a long time.

Can anyone identify the hulls? Nobody knows what boat they are from...

Richard Wood, maybe? (I see the bridgedeck goes all the way forward on this boat) Any other thoughts?

They are apparently glass over foam core.

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Well, I'd say that if you are a patient guy and not needing an answer tomorrow, that you might think about sending this photo to Kurt Hughes and asking him the same thing. It helps if you can say where they are, if there's any other info, (as in more photos) even the sketchy kind from the guy's wife, for example and an idea as to how long the hulls have been there.

Just a thought...

3. CatBuilder

I'm curious... do you think these are old Kurt Hughes hulls?

4. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

No, I don't. I do know that Kurt has made a point of studying the work of other designers of large cats and he may have an idea as to the school of thought from which this cat originated.

You may also consider showing this photo and any others you may have, to the gang at Yahoo's Classic Multihull Sailboat Group. There are some real cat history buffs in that crowd and they may be able to give you some solid info to help in your search.

Additionally, there's another Yahoo Group called CSKcatamarans. While they deal, primarily, with the CSK line of classic boats, there are also lots of guys there who are into all of the older cat designs and know a lot about the newer ones as well. Worth a shout, anyway.

In paticular, Frank Russell at the CSK Group is a fountain of knowledge on older boats and has an extensive library of images to reference.

5. catsketcher

catsketcher Senior Member

No one

My guess is that they are a mongrel and no one will own up to them. The forward flange is taken too deep too far forward for a normal run of the mill design. Even if the flange was built to take a foredeck it would not be this deep unless someone wanted berths or something very far forward. Then why would the hulls look low volume (at least on a first look) if it was a roomaran. I would think they have been extrapolated from a design and then modified till they bear no resemblance to the original.

Post some more photos amd we can have a look at the design basics although my money is on the design being severely compromised.

cheers

Phil Thompson

6. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

7. CatBuilder

Come to think of it, with that forward flange, guessing your design was a very bad guess. (an insult too! :D )

Sorry about that, Richard.

Looking closely at some power cats recently, I think this might be an inshore powercat design.

8. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

Re: Hulls photo

Hard to say without more Photos, but from that view they look like a pair of female moulds?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.