record attempt to cross the atlantic in a 16' boat

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by capt vimes, Jan 17, 2014.

1. capt vimes

capt vimes Senior Member

good info - thank's ;)

2. u4ea32

u4ea32 Senior Member

I can imagine it is the first crossing in 16 foot boat, but only if one is very, very precise about measurement. There have been many about that length, and many very, very much smaller.

Make a big deal about the matrix in the resin system? Yawn.

Maybe if it was hemp, a renewable fiber that has remarkably good properties. But Basalt? Really? Someone thinks that could be in any way competitive with other fibers? There are reasons when technologies just don't take off. Silicon, the primary ingredient in glass, is the most common stuff on the planet (not in the planet, but the stuff you can trivially access). And Basalt is no better, just far less of it, and more expensive to process.

3. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

Ye old book of tricks

trick #1

Lookist there!

Ha! Madeist thou look!

I think it is better marketing money spent than anything in the past 50 years because I never heard of this fiber until now. It looks equivalent to S-glass but a little weaker, a little heavier, and a little stiffer. I think S-glass is better because you can use it in high strain locations with cheap E-glass fill.

4. salglesser

salglesser Junior Member

Does anyone know how it may compare with carbon fiber?

sal

5. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

Inferior properties on all counts. It's on the Wiki. Cheaper I am sure. I wonder if it is cheaper than S glass which it is close to in properties.

6. salglesser

salglesser Junior Member

Thanx much Skyak. I thought it might be an improvement over the carbon fiber we're currently using. Always on the lookout for materials that might "jump higher and run faster".

sal

1 person likes this.
  7. Skyak

Skyak Senior Member

Sal,
    I am still reading. It appears to be cheaper than S glass. I am still looking for fiber dimensions but it appears that basalt is achieving these properties at larger diameter so it might not be as difficult to process as S-glass. At this point I think basalt would be great for foils that are not so skinny they need carbon but would benefit from greater stiffness and strength.

http://www.compositesworld.com/articles/basalt-fibers-alternative-to-glass

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Basalt Fiber

Thanks for the link, Skyak!

9. salglesser

salglesser Junior Member

Thanx much Skyak.

sal

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.