Engine Compartment Cover

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Scotts, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Scotts

Scotts Junior Member

New to boating. Just pickup a 1985 Horizon 195 Cuddy and i have some parts i need but am having trouble finding them. The main one i need is the engine compartment since the one on my boat is deteriorated. Is there a site that sells them or Should i look for someone to build it or is it something i can build myself? Any help would be great

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Are you talking about the hatch over the motor? On most older small runabouts this is just a plywood box, with vinyl on the outside and engine-room insulation on the inside. Some fancy older boats (and most newer ones) have fibreglass engine covers. The wood version, you can probably build yourself, using the old one as a reference.

3. Scotts

Scotts Junior Member

Appreciate the reply

Do i need to use resin and cloth to make it waterproof and then carpet? What size plywood should i use? Also the old one is so decrepid that i couldnt even use it as a guide is there somewhere i can get the dimensions?

4. Deeman

Deeman Junior Member