Recommended Outboard for 20' wooden shallow "V" with 7'-10" beam"

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by rjwintl, Oct 9, 2021.

1. rjwintl

rjwintl Junior Member

what would be the recommended outboard for a 20' wooden shallow "V" with a 7'-10" beam ??? ... freshwater fishing boat for rivers and lakes ... but not a bass boat !!! ... robert j. walters

2. bajansailor

bajansailor Marine Surveyor

Welcome to the Forum RJ.
    Are you able to post a photo of the boat?
    And re 'recommended outboard', do you mean horsepower, or make, or both?
    How fast do you want to go with this boat?

rjwintl likes this.
  3. Ike

Ike Senior Member

we also need to know will it be steered by the tiller on the outboard, or will it have a wheel or stick steering.

rjwintl and bajansailor like this.
  4. rjwintl

rjwintl Junior Member

ahoy bajansailor , yes both a recommended 'brand' (like Tohatsu) and horsepower like maybe a 4o hp (paired proportionately with the length/beam) ... and like any girl, ya wanna have her to go as fast as possible ( planing like a surfboard ,ya know) !!! ... RJ ,10/10/2021 @ 11:09am est

Attached Files:

5. kapnD

kapnD Senior Member

A flat bottomed, hard chined boat is very unforgiving at high speeds, which are easily attainable with too much horsepower.
    I’d recommend moderation, it will probably plane with a 15, depending on load.
    How much does it weigh?
    What are anticipated loads?
    Is there a keel strip?

rjwintl and bajansailor like this.
  6. rjwintl

rjwintl Junior Member

Ahoy kapnD , w/o outboard, it will probably weigh 550 lbs . ( my 12’ weighs 300lbs)… anticipated loads of maybe another 500lbs … it will have an experimental one foot wide flat-tapered to the bow hydroplaning strake along the entire keel length !

7. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

That's quite light for a 20'er. What kind and size plywood is it and will it get any glass over it?

And what is the transom built out of?

rjwintl likes this.
  8. cracked_ribs

cracked_ribs Senior Member

Tend to agree, that's a big boat for that weight. Could it be done? I think so, sure. But if we're talking about the boat in that picture and it is roughly 20x8 I would want to weigh it before committing to that number, personally. I just completed a boat that's 556 pounds empty and it's quite a bit smaller, more like 17x6.5 - maybe at the max beam it might be seven feet, I'd have to check now - a lot more glass and structure, but then, a lot less dimensional lumber. Not saying it can't be done, the boat I finished has a sole and that alone probably runs a hundred pounds, so definitely possibly if carefully built. But that's very light.

But is that the boat? The description sounds like a shallow V, but the picture looks like a flat bottom? Or am I just not following this correctly?

rjwintl likes this.
  9. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

That isn't 7' 10" wide is it ? Just does not seem likely with a flat bottom boat like that

rjwintl likes this.
  10. rjwintl

rjwintl Junior Member

Plywood is 3/4” bottom , 3/8”sides … 2x4 and 2x3 ribs … painted outside of Valspar duramax 365 (4coats) , Olympic stain interior … transom dbl’d 3/4” ply w/ dbl’d 4x4 side by side transom knees

11. cracked_ribs

cracked_ribs Senior Member

Well, it's not like I've never been wrong before but if that is basically a 20*8 skiff with those materials, 550 sounds low to me.

Not a ton of flare on the sides so beam at the chine must be 6' over much of the length - I'm judging by a single photo here and pictures can be deceiving but just off the top of my head I think I'd burn 3 1/2-4 sheets on that bottom and be up around 250 pounds just in 3/4 plywood.

You know the design better than I do of can but I would really want to weigh it before committing to that number.

Of course now that I think about it, I guess that's kind of a distraction. Let's imagine it weighs 750 pounds...how much would that change my thoughts on the motor? Not really at all.

If it were my boat I'd probably put anything from 25-40 horses on it. With that beam it's not like you're going to have trouble floating a motor so 50 pounds one way or another, even a hundred say between a light 25 and a heavy 40...I wouldn't be very concerned.

Buying new, I'd look at local dealer support, and who's even got motors right now. Buying used, I'd look at what's popular in your area.

Granted, I do dumb stuff like hot rod old two strokes and run them until I blow something up and I have to scour barns for parts. So when I say "I'd do X" what I really mean is "X seems like a practical approach."

But in reality, I probably wouldn't do that.

rjwintl, philSweet and DogCavalry like this.
  12. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Huh? Is this the boat shown in the picture ?

13. rjwintl

rjwintl Junior Member

not the boat in the original picture ... haven't built it yet ... next year project but, wanted to get all my research and material estimate done first ... and of course get an informed consensus of opinion , suggestions and recommendations ... the boat will probably end up weighing 750 lbs. with the experimental keel ... as far as outboards are concerned , I'm willing to get them imported from the source and/or a quality Asian alternative ... Devlin Boat wants $1500 for plans
    (ridiculous) and Brooklin Boat Yard wants $140,000 for a completed plywood and epoxy Chris-Craft clone (more than ridiculous) see attached 24 foot rendering of the BBY 24footrunabout.png 24footrunabout.png 24 ... I'll take my time and build it myself and it won't be a copyright infringement !!! ... and do it for FAR LESS MONEY !!! 24footrunabout.png 24footrunabout.png

14. rjwintl

rjwintl Junior Member

side-console w/ Dometic hydraulic steering from a wheel ... similar to artist rendering of the 2022 BBY 24 (see attached drawing) 24footrunabout.png

15. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

Yeah, we have that covered in spades, don't we:D I miss the old outboard tree on Key Largo. You put your old outboard there with a tag on it with your phone number and asking price. You just grabbed one, left an envelope in the mailbox on the tree, and called the number to tell them payment was in the box. I picked up about four motors there for various, um, trials.

rjwintl and cracked_ribs like this.
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.