Repowering a CC Riviera

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by 65tbird, Jul 30, 2009.

1. 65tbird

65tbird New Member

I'm putting a 39 Flathead Ford V8, 100 hp in a 16 ft CC Riviera.

I'm putting in where the back seat was. So, I will need to place U joint to break the prop shaft angle. This means a thrust bearing with a bracket to hold it.

Question 1: Will a single U joint after the transmission and the thrust bearing or will I need two. The angle will be about 13 degrees which is with the singles u-joint's range.

Question 2: How thick and wide of a steel plate will I need. I was thinking 3/8 by 6inches between stringers that are 24 inches apart with 3 by 3 angle iron to anchor to stringers.

Any other ideas

KMB

2. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

Not sure what you are trying to do? Are you turning the motor around and using a V-Drive? If not, will not the motor (Prop) be too far back? Why not just mount the motor at 13 deg. ? In any case the !/2 x 6 in plate should be adequate, but a thinner plate with top and bottom angles would be better.

3. Jango

Jango Senior Enthusiast

After re-reading your post, I see you said 3/8 thick not 1/2 plate. Which should be fine. I would fasten 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 24 steel angles to the top and bottom to insure adequate strength.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.