Gene-Hull Catamaran 3.0 and SA-VPP catamaran 1.0

Discussion in 'Software' started by Dolfiman, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Senior Member

I am pleased to share with you a new version 3.0 of Gene-Hull application dedicated to sailing catamaran early stage project + a new « SA-VPP Catamaran 1.0 » application for the performance estimation, attached.

Within « Gene-Hull Catamaran 3.0 » :
    ** the Hull sections generation is simplified, based on « E generalised » shapes (E for Elliptical) where parameters can now be variable with x, well adapted to generate a wide variety of hull shape for a catamaran,
    ** a 3D isometric view of the hull is now also output,
    ** the heeled catamaran study can be done with a loading and any heel angle up to the emergence of the windward hull. The output data are detailed for each hull (leeward and windward ones) as well as for the catamaran as a whole, and can be used to fulfill the set of input data necessary for « SA-VPP Catamaran 1.0 ».
    ** A specific sheet « Offsets x,y,z » is proposed , where all the geometrical output data are gathered and can be copy/paste for a transfer towards software tools oriented for engineering studies or 3D renderings.

« SA-VPP Catamaran 1.0 » is a spreadsheet application about the prediction of the catamaran speed, heel angle and displacement repartition between the 2 hulls (leeward and windward one), for 3 typical sailing conditions, by wind 4 to 20 Knots.
    - Upwind on calm water
    - Beam reaching, twa 90°
    - Downwind with spi, twa 135°

This application can be used stand alone, in complement to any other software used for the project development and providing the necessary data. Or as a complement of « Gene-Hull Catamaran 3.0» application.

The main goal of these 2 applications is to provide tools to optimise a project at its early stage definition.

It is a free and open source speadsheet application, developed on a support itself free and widespread (Open Office Calc 4.0.1) : to open and use an ods file, you have to download Open Office or Libre office according to :
    ODS File Extension - What is an ods file and how do I open an ods file? | OpenTheFile http://www.openthefile.net/extension/ods

In the User Guides attached, you will find all information necessary about input data to prepare and output data and figures provided.

Also attached an Example document covering both applications.

By hoping this can be helpful for your projects.

Attached Files:

2. Andy

Andy Senior Member

Bravo Dolfiman! Great to see your projects develop further!

Dolfiman likes this.
  3. TwistedJuggler

TwistedJuggler New Member

thanks Dolfiman for your hard work.

I seem to be having a small problem with offsets, i am not sure if it is me or maybe a small problem with the calculations.

my c10 station at 1500 ends in a flat bottom, where as all the others come to a smooth curve.

Attached Files:

• 15m.ods
      15m.ods
      File size:
      3.1 MB
      Views:
  4. Dolfiman

Dolfiman Senior Member

Thanks TwistedJuggler for your message.

Yes, you are right ! there were copy/paste mistakes in the z columns of C10 offsets, now corrected in the version returned attached + C10 check also showed in the pdf attached.

I also put a minor modification in your input data :
    Z p m = 1,86 instead of 1,85, in order that Z p m > Z liv m
    Z p ar = 1,81 instead of 1,80, in order that Z p ar > Z liv ar
    That avoids a division by zero which prevents the system to compute all the things in relation with the deck surface,
    that does not change the hull shape. I put these modifications in red in the file returned attached.

By hoping this can be helpful for you, and remain at your disposal for any further question.

Attached Files:

5. TwistedJuggler

TwistedJuggler New Member

Thankyou Dolfiman

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.