Recommendations Needed for Fiberglass Pop Top

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by HWB, Aug 13, 2017.

1. HWB

HWB New Member

Hello -
    I'm thinking about building a 5' x 10' x 5"? low profile pop top for my van. I want to use fiberglass, thinking 1/4"? foam or ply as center with 2 layers of fiberglass on each side? I want it to be as light as possible, but still sturdy for this application? Also what type fiberglass and weight would you recommend? Thanks for any help.

2. ondarvr

ondarvr Senior Member

It can be done, but try finding an old beater van with a top you like, then just bolt it in place. These old vans are scattered throughout the country in junkyards and backyards (OK front yards depending on where you live) and can be had for cheap, or just a "please haul it away" if you talk with the wife.

3. HWB

HWB New Member

That was my original plan, but I've been looking for weeks......called all the area junkyards, looked on craigslist, ebay....etc..none are close enough....new ones are $4000 + shipping everywhere I've seen...thank you...