Ocean Currents Visualization

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Doug Lord, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

2 people like this.
  2. BPL

BPL Senior Member

Fascinating visualization.

3. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Too f-ing cool, and a geographic adventure as well!

Us older guys get a bigger bang for our buck on these types of things I think.

Thanks again Doug!

4. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Ditto.

5. Manie B

Manie B Senior Member

6. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Without wanting to be a troll its very nice but is only the opinion of some one clever enough to make a lovely representation of his opinion by that very clever animation.

However,--very impressive work.

7. hoytedow

I believe it was a compilation of collected data. I don't know if the data was massaged.

8. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Exactly --and we never will know.

9. hoytedow

It is still a nice video.

10. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

This is part of SVS at Goddard's "Digital Earth" project. An on going program to assemble data and make it palatable. The ocean currents video, is one of the latest offerings and is supported by the huge data base that's been compiled over the last few decades.

Things like rain forest rain fall (real time), hurricane tracks, landslide, deforestation, weather anomalies, etc. all have been tracked, monitored and now are being compiled into charts, graphs and time lapsed video, such as that above. The currents simulation is based on real satellite imagery, coordinated with other data, such as the NOAA's data gathering buoy's and resources.

Though a pretty presentation, it's also an accurate representation of currents during the time segments, displayed in the upper right hand corner. Though GFSC gets it funding through NASA, there's no need to massage this data for "looks", as it's serves no practical purpose to skew data to make a pretty picture, when your goal is an accurate picture. If NASA has learned one thing in the 60 years of it's existence, it's that they don't need to "enhance" the wonders of the images they've collected. They usually just speak for themselves, quite well.

11. hoytedow

Due to the recent exposure of 2 of NASA heads mis-behaviour, sadly, I have lost faith in their propaganda promotions to persuade persons to place power on potentates promising plenty who provide paltry proof.

12. PAR

People screw up, just look at me or the clowns over at the Secret Service having a fun in Columbia. I have to admit, they do have some fine looking hookers down there, but I'd have had enough sense to not have been caught.

Back to the video, NASA has gathered environmental and other data, from several agencies in recent decades and now is working partly to exploit this information, but also to gain a better understanding, which is the primary mission. In light of current budget trends, I think this is a valuable product, as well as the other ongoing data study and presentation. Who else would you have do it? Mobil, GM, the Knights of Columbus? Maybe a conglomerate of the biggest CO2 emitters. Of course there wouldn't be any spinning the data in their favor would there . . . It has to be an outfit like NASA or NOAA (etc.), other wise they'll get purchased, just like the rest of our government.

13. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

To add another dimension to it, remember, these are only surface currents being shown.

14. Ilan Voyager

Ilan Voyager Senior Member

I do like Internet. The biggest library that never had humanity. Nasa is a very reliable source and it's well spent tax money. Go in their sites; lots of good stuff.

About the guys in Colombia...can you imagine that these guys ere in the top of USA president protection? caught like a numb cheater in a little town. Gosh. After the wikileaks, where a low grade soldier had access to a big bunch of confidential information, the no-brain pissing guys on the dead bodies, the Coran's burners and the mad killer of 17 people in Afganistan. Plus formely the water boarding qualified as just fun between pals, not torture and other niceties like Guantanamo I'm asking myself what's happening in the States.

15. PAR

It's really easy to pick out things to point at and question what's going on in the USA. What's not so easy is to see the countless hundreds to one occurrences of grand things happening. We have over 300 million people here, a few will prove their parents shouldn't have considered adding to the gene pool, but the extreme majority work hard, try their best and offer back the wrong change in the check out line, when a clerk screws up. This is the USA I know. The one that sends countless billions to victims of environmental disasters, in countries we're at war with or politically dislike. The government doesn't do this, the people do, the ones everyone seems to forget about.