Waterworld Trimaran

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by big-boss, Mar 25, 2008.

1. big-boss

big-boss Junior Member

I am a new guy-been looking on for a week or so finally signed up.
    I want to build an ocean going trimaran like the one in waterworld. Is there any plans on something like that? Do I need to commision a designer? Be gentle on me please.
    I have built about everything but a boat. I have built a Kirkham Cobra (latest project) to bridges, tilt-up buildings,prisions, etc. I am a civil engineer, contractor and a craftsman. I want to do this.

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Hi Big Boss,

If I were you, I'd start with a rowboat for kids, maybe something made of underlayment plywood.
    Just kidding! A friend of mine told me that Waterworld tri was modified and filmed in Hawaii--- his daughter worked on the film. I know nothing more but wish you luck finding the designer.

Alan

3. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

The WW tri was a tarted up for hollywood ORMA 60. They had two, one that could sail and on that had all the fake cranks and BS on it.

You can probably buy stock plans for an older ORMA Tri or just buy one.

There are chater opportunities also.

No offense, but if you don't know what an ORMA Tri is, you probably don't want one. :D

4. big-boss

big-boss Junior Member

I know what an ORMA 60 is- I have MAPQUEST just like you guys!
    I want to make one. I do not know what "stock plans" are, though. Where do you get them? Thanks again.

5. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

I'll try again ...

It's an ORMA Tri ... there are several, if not many designers that have done them. Find a designer that you like and ask them for a set of plans.

You aren't going to make one unless you have a boat shop and experience with composite construction.

There are ORMA Tris for sale.

As a boat building project it would be a hassle and turning it into a nifty whiz-bang neato Water World boat would ruin it.

Have fun ...

Google is your friend.

6. Munter

Munter Amateur

If you're keen on the "slightly rough" look, google an aluminium tri named "Tin Can". I hear you might be able to get that boat pretty cheaply and its only a few hours north of you...

Seriously - if you want a big tri like that you'd be far better off buying a second hand one. The construction is pretty complex and there are nicely depreciated ones that can be picked up for not too much money. Beware the operating costs and hassle factor of a boat that size though. skimping on maintenance could be expensive in the long run and dangerous.

7. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

The designers are known as VPLP and they are working with BMWO on something.

You could call Larry Ellison and ask.

8. yipster

yipster designer

9. big-boss

big-boss Junior Member

Thanks guys. I have been following the "tin can" When I first saw it I knew where it would fail- I was right. To me it is obvious-had the welding been better he would have simply been out farther before failure, IMO. I do understand the pint the guy is trying to make, I hope he does.

10. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

Yes, there were two Waterworld tris. One went to somewhere in Florida last I heard and the other was completely refitted and is living in San Diego, going by the name of LoeReal.

I found this page that looks at the boats in question, though the material is not up to date with photos.

http://www.geocities.com/mariner767/index.html

Attached below is shot of the way she looks in current racing trim

Chris

Attached Files:

11. big-boss

big-boss Junior Member

After a little studing after your ideas- Damn that ORMA 60 is a big boat. I knew what it was before but after you comments I now understand waht I was seeing. I will be down south next month I will have to poke around and see if I can at least see one.

Is there a boat that looks like that in a 40ft? What is the 39ft Ferrier (spelling?) like. Seems easy enough to build. Is it fast? THanks again.

"Why start small? - When you can start big!"

12. Chris Ostlind

Chris Ostlind Previous Member

If you are really serious about a 40' trimaran and have the desire to learn how to build, then you should talk with naval architect, Jim Antrim in the SF Bay area. He's a world class designer of incredibly fast multihulls with several offerings in the size range you mention.

Here's his website showing the trimarans:

http://www.antrimdesign.com/trimarans/

The 40' Zephyr, shown below, will absolutely give you the thrill you seek

Chris

Attached Files:

13. RHough

RHough Retro Dude

Good call Chris.

If it were me and I didn't care much about cruising ... I'd see if a F40 Tri could be had for cheap. That would be a lot of bang for your buck.

The F-39 is on my medium list, I like Farrier's stuff to a point and it is the biggest folder around.

I think 45-50 is a better bet for a dual purpose racer/cruiser but that is a odd size, everything is either too full race for and old man to take his wife cruising on or too full cruise to make the thought of sailing fun for me.

For a WaterWorld type boat Antrim would be hard to go wrong with.

14. jamez

jamez Senior Member

15. jamez

jamez Senior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.