Recommend a gearbox

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by vkalia, Jun 28, 2006.

1. vkalia

vkalia New Member

Hi guys -

Need your advice, as what I dont know about boats can fill tomes and tomes.

I am putting in a new engine into a 45fot (15m) Indonesian-made wooden fishing boat (the long and sleek kind - 2m wide, 1m draft).

The engine is a 4 cylinder, 4 stroke inline direct injection marine unit. Its continuous power ratings are: 42ps/1500rpm, 52.5ps/1800rpm and 57ps/2000 rpm. Compression ratio is 17.9:1.

The propeller is going to be 18-20" in diameter, no more.

I think a 2:1 gearbox would probably make the most sense, and would like to purchase a David Brown unit. For starters, are there different variants in 2:1 gearboxes from which I need to select an appropriate unit, and if so, what are the factors that will help me decide?

Second, any other suggestions on other models I should look at?

Third, anyone know where I might buy such a unit and have it shipped internationally? I need it in the Andaman Islands - so it will have to come into mainland India first.

Thanks,
    VK

2. ted655

ted655 Senior Member

Ask on the "Metal Boat Society" also. Join http://boatdiesel.com/index.cfm?RED=WWW
    There are straigt drive, Drop drive & angle drive configerations.
    They are rated according to the use & length of continuious use time. Velvet drives are a dime a dozen in salvage shops, making them cheap but reliable drives.. Twin Disk has a good reputation. Some I've talked to are not fans of ZF-Hurth.
    To be clear about the reduvtion you will need to size the prop size & pitch, hull speed, hull type?displacemrnt. A hard thing to juggle for a newbe. Get help from a prop shop. Worth the money, as fuel economy, engine life & boat handling depend on correct sizing. If engine is a Detroit Diesel, then it is more critical.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.