Recent Grad looking for advice on career paths

Discussion in 'Services & Employment' started by BDC, Jan 27, 2005.

1. BDC

BDC New Member

I am a recent graduate from the University of Texas with a degree in mechanical engineering. I have a strong interest in the marine field. Along with substantial sailing experience, I have enjoyed designing and constructing model boats, mostly radio controlled but some scale static’s. With this interest/general feel for design procedure and my degree I am hoping to start a career in the marine design arena.

I have been doing some investigation and found that there are three general avenues 1. Private yacht design 2. Commercial/military ship design and 3. Oil and gas marine engineering/ship design. These three areas seem to vary greatly as far as potential for growth, income brackets...

I am currently finding it hard to find entry level work in any of the above fields and am curious to hear how others have broken into the industry. My primary enjoyment is in working on and solving (interesting which to me is marine related) engineering problems and seeing a product be developed from initial concept to final design/proto type/production and dealing with problems that develop along the way.

I would be very interested in hearing what others have to say and what others have experienced.

Thanks in advance,

BDC

2. richardb

richardb New Member

There are plenty of opportunities, especially with the larger companies

Brunswick Career site:

http://sh.webhire.com/Public/250/

sort for Sea Ray, Hatteras or Brunswick Family Boat Co (Bayliner)

it takes a little time but with a degree in mechanical engineering you will be qualified for most jobs listed.

Look for tooling,design or development engineering positions

3. BDC

BDC New Member

richard,

Thanks for the link, there seems to be a lot of jobs posted for them. I think an area of current interest would be the composite design and laminate design...seems to be an area with potential for growth and a lot of different applications outside of boats as well. What do you think?

Thanks again

BDC

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.