Reccomend lamination for divinycell core dingy?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by mrybas, Aug 31, 2017.

1. mrybas

mrybas Junior Member

Hi,
    I bought 3.6 m Ripple Tender (catamaran dingy) kit that consists of divinycell foam panels that are pre cut and mdf frames for the lamining process.
    Tender Catamaran Kits | Tender Catamaran Plans | Ripple Tenders http://www.spiriteddesigns.com.au/ripple_tenders1
    I want to build the boat as light as possible as it is rather large and will hang off the transom of my sailing cat on dingy davits. At the same time I want the dingy to be durable enough to take the occasional bump and bruise from exploring and being tied up at the dingy dock.
    This is how the designer recommended I laminate the dingy:
    I have had a response from the head engineer from ATL and the advice is:

300gm carbon plain weave as main laminate each side of the foam with additional 450gm double bias tapes or drops where required. This can be e-glass and applied anywhere where impact can be expected. These areas are:

Hull bottoms
    Top of bridge deck
    Foredeck
    Floor area in hulls

The hull bottoms and internal floor area is covered when the tapes are applied so this adequate as standard. The bridge and foredeck will need additional laminate however an extra 300gm may suffice.

Remember that the tapes for the joins are additional to the main laminate and should be applied as specified in the plans.​
    Does this sound good to you? What about using Carbon/Kevlar, kevlar, or Innegra to toughen up areas likely to see impacts and wear and tear?

2. mrybas

mrybas Junior Member

Here are some photos of the davit set up with the old dingy. And an image the the boat to be built

Attached Files:

3. sailhand

sailhand Senior Member

Hi my basement, I have a small catamaran tender on my sailing catamaran that i use daily. 300 grm carbon will be fine as long as you don't let it touch anything. Otherwise this is not really practical in the tender role. I infused my hulls and have 3600 grams of glass in the bilge and my dinghy weighs 45 kilos. An owner of a well known large sailing catamaran that is for sale has 300 grams of carbon on the skins and he said to me that he doesn't think he'll have a boat left in ten years and he's desperate to get out of it and he spent a million plus on it. One of my prototype dinghys built from divinycell had 1200 grams of eglass in the keels and i got sick of repairing it, and my boats have wheels. To see what I'm talking about check out magic carpet 3.5 with a 3hp on youtube. Are you in australia.

4. sailhand

sailhand Senior Member

5. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

What put you off the pre-fab duflex PVC panels ? Seems like a much easier build.

6. mrybas

mrybas Junior Member

Cool boat Sailhand. Can you explain the dingy wheel setup?

7. mrybas

mrybas Junior Member

In hindsite, I probably should have went that route.