rebuilding transom with nida core

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by rovi, Jun 2, 2012.

1. rovi

rovi Junior Member

Hi all, how do i repair a transom using nida core instead of the traditional marine plyboard? I have the panels already, what other materials do i need?

2. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Lets back up a little ! you want to do a transom with Nida core !!
    Is this a outboard boat or inboard boat ??
    How big ??:confused:
    What is attached to the transom?
    Need a little more information and pictures ??:confused:

3. rawleyjerel@yah

rawleyjerel@yah Junior Member

use the nida core the same way as plywood exept you have to really sand the piss out of the surface of the nida core with something aggresive like 36 grit and fill in the edges with putty especially if you bevel the edge

4. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

what ?

Filling the edges with putty is defeating the purpose fo using a honey combed core in the first place , if use a grinder with a fine disc and sand as neat as possible and then prewet strips of glass 80mm wide and lay them round the edge and lightly press witha brush and let it go hard again and sand lightly . then can glass over ok
    OR get balsa wood and cut on a 60degree angle and place around the edge same can be done with strips of foam as well . why nida hasent made a separate edging i will never know !!. or last , turn the sheet over and gently cut a vee out of the back and so it can fold down but thats really not easy at all . foam pre made strip is easyest !!!:eek:

5. rawleyjerel@yah

anyone who listens to tunnels is going down the wrong path!!!!! for one how long do you think it will take you to grind it that neat and then try to lay glass on a half inch edge?? <insult removed> you cant grind the plastic honeycomb without it falling apart. HELLO how long have you been a laminator?? <insult removed> you use balsa no wonder hahaha balsa will wick and turn to mush thats why its not used anymore in the united states.

6. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

lay your true feelings to rest my friend !! boats are still made using balsa to this very day in parts of the world where thay take pride in what they make ,something you should step back and take a look at in wonder :p!!

7. rawleyjerel@yah

maybe in china but everyone else knows better

8. rawleyjerel@yah

you know china where they still use lead paint or where they cant make fiberglass without using a ton of starch

9. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

laying a strip of a differant material is not a problem as its serving the purpose of reducing the height of the core down so ithe glass will be neat an tidy . foam or balsa no mater which . balsa supplyers have a reducing strip in various thicknesse already pre made that serves the purpose well .:p

10. hardcoreducknut

hardcoreducknut Junior Member

I was planning to build a transom from plascore. For the edges I was going to cut Trex composite decking into strips, then round the edges with a router and flame treat it so epoxy would bond to it. Attach it to the plascore edges via tounge and groove, then glass it.

11. hardcoreducknut

hardcoreducknut Junior Member

If you don't like tounge and groove, you can do a puzzle joint with the decking and the core.

12. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

where the motor gets bolted on and through and the like you would need a more solid uncompressable material . could be just a couple of wideish strips or a big square . my preferance would be two strips 150mm wide where the bolts would go through to clamp the bracket tight to the panel :D.

13. rawleyjerel@yah

i suggest using hull and deck putty for this purpose as hull and deck is structurally sound. and catalyzed with mekp

14. tunnels

tunnels Previous Member

Just make sure it has micro fibres in it !!:)