rebuilding a outboard.

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by desertgoldhound, Aug 6, 2006.

1. desertgoldhound

desertgoldhound Junior Member

I have already posted this once in the wrong location. so I am adding it here to the right area.

I am not sure that this is the right area to post this question but here I go. I have just purchased my first boat. It has the 3 V on the bottem with the larger in the midle. I got this boat for 300.00 including trailer and moter. It has a 70hp johnsohn outboard moter. I was told when I got it that the moter was no good becouse of an unknown problem with piston number 3. I was thinking about rebuilding the moter. (after I do some compretion tests to see if I can pinpoint the problem) Every one I talk with has said that you cant rebuild outboard moters. I am not getting any answers to why this is. I cant seem to find any replacement piston and rings. So my question for you is

Can you rebuild an outboard moter?

Where should I get the piston and rings from for a decent price?

What is the most I should allow it to be board over?

P.S. I know I cant spell that well and I am on a freinds computer that has no spell checker sorry

2. hansp77

hansp77

Right spot mate,
    hopefully someone can help you out soon.
    (sorry I can't)

EDIT- for the price you got the whole set up for, it might just be worth buying a working outboard. You might end up spending a lot more rebuilding yours. But I really don't know,
    good luck

3. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Many outboards can be rebuilt just fine. Others have weird things like mystery-metal cylinder sleeves that can't be repaired once damaged. Johnsons are usually pretty easy to work on, but check with a mechanic who knows the motor. Whether it's economical is another story.
    It's not exactly normal to overbore a 70hp block. If honing can't bring it back to spec, you probably need an experienced mechanic to help decide whether it's possible to bore it out or not.
    I'd suggest you find the source of the problem before looking for parts.

4. desertgoldhound

Thank You

I do not know any of the boat repair shops here but I will do a little research and find one. I will be doing some tests myself and will take the information to the mechanic I choice to take the motor for diagnostics. I am on a limited budget so getting a new motor is almost out of the question. (Full time student in programming).

Thank you for the responses.

5. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Mr. Hound,
    I pasted this in your other thread, too. Go here, join, get your questions answered and buy parts there also. Sam
    http://forums.iboats.com/

6. COLD-EH'

COLD-EH' Junior Member

Evenrude should be OK but unless you can do it yourself it might be better buying a used working motor. It could be just a head gasket and that's real easy. while the head is off you can see how everything else looks.

7. desertgoldhound

will be doing the work myself

I will be picking up the boat as soon as I can get the trailer taken care of with the DMV (there giving me crap) I will be doing the work myself. I have talked with my local machinest again today and we were looking at the options. After doing some research (He had never done an outboard before) he found that he may not have the equipment to bore the cylenders. The problem is that they do not go all the way through. He says if it doesn't need bored that he can do the honing. He will double check my mesurments when I rip the moter apart to see if he can do just honing. (CROSSING FINGERS). I have found one machinest that says he has the equipment necesery, however; the price is realy steep. I also worry about how well of a job he can do as I have had some machinest that should go back to school and I have a hard time trusting new ones.

Thank you for all of your help.

8. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Check with Evinrude to make sure your block can in fact be honed. Most 'rudes can but it doesn't hurt to check. Hone the sleeves the traditional way on some high-tech outboards, and they'll crack apart when you fire up the motor. If I were you I'd be looking for a mechanic who specializes in outboards.

9. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

If your really stuck for an outboard mechanic, use a motorcycle man they are at least used to 2 strokes of that size. Car mechanics havnt a clue.

10. COLD-EH'

COLD-EH' Junior Member

Hey! Thats my trade! Yeah I would take it to someone who does bikes for the machine work. They do it every day!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.