Automobile Desiel Engine in a boat?

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by JamesG, Nov 28, 2009.

1. JamesG

JamesG Junior Member

Can a Diesel Engine from an Automobile be used in a boat- LEGALLY? I thought to myself "of course it can!" and then someone said that it can't.

What's the law on this?

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Do the conversion and paint it Navy blue. VW marine paints their automotive engines white, but I don't recommend that.
    If there was a law that prohibits using automotive engines in boats, most owners would have to row.

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

No problem with diesels. They donĀ“t have to comply with explosion prood electrics.

4. fcfc

fcfc Senior Member

Volvo D3 marine engines are based on volvo D5 automotive engines.
    Yanmar 4BY 6BY are based on BMW automotive engine.
    Vetus VF4 VF5 are based on Fiat/GM automotive engines.

Check your ... :p

5. JamesG

JamesG Junior Member

So if i get stopped by the coast guard they will just look at the color of the engine and not check the serial number?

What about when you build a boat from scratch? Is a detailed inspection done at that point?

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

No there isn't unless you are carrying passengers for hire. They will not look at the color or serial number, but at the fuel type and system.

7. JamesG

JamesG Junior Member

OK let me make sure I understand this.

Before the boat's in use:
    If I build a boat from scratch and do not intend to carry passengers for hire the boat engine does not need to be inspected before it goes into use. Another question- Does this boat need an overall inspection before it goes into use?

While the boat is in use:
    When being stopped by the coast guard they will just check the fuel type and the fuel system. I guess the fuel system needs to follow certain guidelines?

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You need for example, a fuel tank with a vent. The USCG normally does safety inspections only. That is: lifejackets, flares, and all the rest of the required safety gear. You can get the panflet for free fron the USCG. They will not inspect your boat before you use it.

9. JamesG

JamesG Junior Member

Ok cool. I think I have seen that pamphlet before. Thanks for the help!

Oh, and if the boat is used for commercial use how does that change things? Just curious.

10. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Depending on the use, you may have to present plans for approval. They will inspect the build also.

11. JamesG

JamesG Junior Member

Thanks Gonzo!

12. FAST FRED

FAST FRED Senior Member

They will inspect the build also.

And the CG will require ONLY Fire Retardant resin in the construction
    Regular polyester burns at 500% the rate of wood (the yardstick).

F-R resin burns at 100% , the same rate as wood.

With the proper additives the burn rate can be 15% of wood .

This will reduce the strength of the laminate 3% , easily taken care of in the design stage.

To carry passengers the hull will need to be about 400% STRONGER THAN JUST WHAT IT WOULD TAKE TO CARRY THE LOADS. MOST BOATS WILL BE 250% OR MORE anyway , so its not a big deal.

Basically the boat will be strong enough NOT to flex in std service , the key to longevity.

FF

13. mydauphin

mydauphin Senior Member

Skip all this... Buy a used boat with dead diesel, It can be fixed for nearly nothing and your off. After many years of experience this is way to go unless you just like the endless work of building a boat. Trust me being doing for many many years.

14. CDK

CDK retired engineer

JamesG, I thought you live in a free country.
    I am in a banana republic where my engines are still registered as Mercruisers because nobody wanted to believe that I converted 2 engines from VW Vanagons. Without proper documents, issued by the engine builder, or a customs declaration where the words "boat engine" are mentioned the harbor office refused to enter them in my permit.
    But the guy said it didn't matter because nobody will check......

15. powerabout

powerabout Senior Member

JamesG
    Most of the 2010 US EPA inboard marine rules for petrols have been pushed back one year.
    Because there are many shops that build new petrol engines that will not have the technology to comply they are talking about a 50 units and below exemption for small producers.
    I can only guess that if you marinise a diesel you will be the manufacturer and hence exempt from the rules if they follow the petrol rules???

Outboard are much tougher, you can touch a post 2006 engine or big fine if caught.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.