Rebuild, Frankenstein it, or scrap it?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by Frans old man, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Frans old man

Frans old man Junior Member

Well, yeah. I tried that before i came here. There is, correction, was a boatworks fiberglass place localy. Turns out he is mostly retired and makes the guys on "grumpy old men" look like happy go lucky fellas. So, i get the problem of not being present to give a good assessment. And due to the fact i don't know enough about patching glass, i am down toputting a flat bottom on her, or scrapping her and building a wood dory. I feel like i might save a little money if i could put a flat bottom on what i have just because i wouldn't have to buy the material for the sides. Just don't know if a combination boat of the two materials would be safe. Guess I'll sleep on it. Thanks to all for the help. Some of the feedback helped me to see a few things i hadn't noticed .

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

I've never heard of anyone cutting the bottom out of a glass boat, and replacing it with flat ply. It sounds like more trouble than it would be worth, even if securely accomplished, especially as you would finish with an unusually wide flat bottom, that would hammer like the blazes, and your 130 hp motor would be well and truly too much power.

3. JamesG123

JamesG123 Senior Member

Yeah... It'll make a cool koi pond though!

4. Frans old man

Well, guess that's correct. I appreciate the help. Thanks yall.

5. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

Since you have a motor and trailer, just a boat alone should be pretty cheap. At the marina/boat repair here they have a number of abandoned hulls they would sell for very cheap. People abandon them because they cost too much to keep at the dock, or the motor is gone and they don't want to put a lot of money into a boat that isn't worth much. A new outboard can easily cost $10,000 and more and it's just not worth it for older but still serviceable hulls. And they are an expensive nuisance for a marina to get rid of them.
    So I would ask around in marinas, and I would expect to pay very little if not get one for free. Another place to ask for them is at boat sales places, they get trade ins or some which way end up with older hulls that don't have much of a market but take up room and they need them gone.
    At both those places, it could be a win-win if you have them install your motor for a reasonable price and they get rid of a hull they don't need.

6. Frans old man

Thanks Sam. I had thought of that. I tried the local boat repair place, that didn't work out to well. However, I'm not too far from a metropolitan area with a lot of marinas that probably have a lot of what you're talking about. I think it would be worth a days ride, and a good excuse to get the wife out for the day. We don't have much need to get away from the river. She would enjoy a day amongst civilization. Thanks.

7. Ted Olmsted

Ted Olmsted New Member

Keep looking like SamSam said. You can find good solid hulls that need a motor or such that are nice boats for less $. If you are up for a mechanic challenge. Try Craigslist etc... or local marinas. Good luck, let the right deal come to you!

8. Frans old man

Been looking, but haven't found anything yet. What i have found is too small for the engine i have. It was a 17' angler for 1k. The honda weighs 500 lbs. Granted it would pick up all the weight i could put on the boat, but in real rough water it becomes a boat anchor.lol The seach continues......

9. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

Cut into it and see.
    You've got nothing to lose, just start your reno, you'll see pretty quick if it's worth salvaging.
    Utilitarian boats are great, highly modifiable.
    Learning platforms...

10. Frans old man

Blue, you are right. Haven't been able to find a replacement so I guess that is going to be the next step. The more time I spend looking, the longer it will be before I can get back to making $. The mullet are running, and crabbing is plentiful. I can't do either. Besides, at least I'll know what I have when I get done.

11. BlueBell

Also, remember to build for what your need, not what you have, necessarily.

12. Frans old man

Blue it sure would be a waste if I didn't make the way I'd like it to be.

13. Frans old man

Thanks for all your help and input. Finally settled on a replacement. Yesterday I bought a super solid 17' McKee craft. It's not as big as I would have liked, but $900 was a good deal. It'll be pushing it a bit, but I believe the 130 Honda 4 stroke will do well on it. It came with a no compression 150 Johnson on it. It's small enough to fish gill nets, and big enough keel to run crab lines. I'm hoping it works out. From what I can find out, they are supposed to be pretty tough little tri-hulls. Thanks again yall. Comments on reinforcing the transom or sponsons are welcome as the Honda weighs about 130ish more lbs.

BlueBell likes this.
  14. BlueBell

Right-on!
    Good luck FOM!
    Pictures.

15. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

You can probably sell parts of it on ebay. Working lower units are always worth something, engine housings, props, carburetors, coils, wiring harnesses, starters etc.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.