Lindsay Lord

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by TollyWally, Sep 9, 2009.

1. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

I just recently got my hands on a book by Lindsay Lord, "Naval Architecture of Planing Hulls". I understand some of his thinking has been superceded. What should I discount as I read this book in my never ending quest to learn more about this obsession of mine? Thanks in advance for any insight available.

2. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

I wouldn't worry about it. There is more good stuff in there than in any other book I have found. All the other experts have some errors of one kind or another in them too. You can always look up other references if you think or hear that something is suspect. On at least one point where some more current marine design writers have disagreed on, the existence of suction or negative lift under planing hulls, I completely agree with Lord.

3. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

Thanks Tom, I've seen many references to Lord's work and finally tracked down a copy. It'll be a few days until I can get it read but I am a little excited to finally get this book. I had no luck at the local library and ended up stumbling upon this copy at a garage sale of all places.

4. tom28571

tom28571 Senior Member

Until I was able to find a copy through ABE (American Book Exchange) I borrowed one from a friend or read at the Beaufort, NC Maritime Museum. Copies from booksellers were priced from $22.50 (mine) to $250. Other good books also have great ranges in price. It pays to keep up a regular watch to find out what the market is. Used book stores in boating towns are often the worst places to buy such books. Here are some more:

High Speed Small Craft--Peter Ducane
    Principles of Yacht Design--Larsson & Eliasson
    Problems in Small Boat Design--pub by Sheridan House

The last one is a collection of papers by several authors of studies of many interesting cases not usually found in other books,

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.