What kind of transom is this?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by rubenova, Jun 18, 2021.

1. rubenova

rubenova Junior Member

I've seen a lot of boat derriere over the years, this one is new to me. I'm curious how one would describe this in boat-speak. What say you? what kind of transom is this.JPG

2. Busman1965

Busman1965 Junior Member

Looks like a standard salmon troller transom from the early 20th century. I had a 28ft salmon troller built in 1928 that had that same transom. Its just a basic raked sort of horseshoe shape with a wood frame around it, to protect the hood ends from wear. They were very common on the Northern Pacific coast years back. The boats are typically a deep round bilge hull with a full keel and protected prop and rudder. I cruised my old troller all over the Bahamas for 2 decade (someone else had shipped her to Florida,before I bought her). Amazing sea boats and very efficient hulls, with a small 50hp diesel I could putt along at 6 knots for pocket change. Many of Monks earliest designs were of this type of boat.

bajansailor likes this.
  3. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Might have been useful if backing up was required in rough water.

4. Busman1965

Busman1965 Junior Member

Yes, also those boat drift with the stern to the seas (usually off one quarter or the other). The rake helps push the water beneath the hull a bit. But the aft deck is wet, when the boat is loaded, hence the high comings on the hatches and standing cockpit.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.