Design Advice

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by GunDriver, Sep 28, 2006.

1. GunDriver

GunDriver New Member

Hi, I'm a moderately experienced lake/river pleasure boater with some experience in near offshore fishing craft up to 32' or so operated in the Gulf of Mexico. I now live 4 or 5 hours from the ocean which is a drag for my wife and I. We would like to get a used boat that we could put down in the Houston area. Ideally, we would like something suitable to go on vacation in along the coast. We both have family in Louisiana and Pensacola and might even venture as far as Key West or South Padre some day. I don't plan on punching out across the center of the Gulf with the thing, but a more conservative cruise along the Intercostal or staying close to shore. With that in mind, I'm looking for advice on design types. I say used because that allows me to get more boat (larger boat, twin diesels, etc) than I am otherwise willing to pay for in a newer boat. I am also intrigued by boats such as 42 to 47 foot Chris Craft boats. I think they went from wooden to fibreglass in 1968 or so but I have zero experience with a wooden boat. I'm not opposed to one but I'd like to get some idea on the maintenence pros and cons. Additionally, the Chris Craft brand seems to be well thought of but I don't know anyone who has experience taking one out into the Gulf (even staying within sight of land.) I maintain my equipment very well and don't mind working on an older boat to bring it back up to peak form, but am I looking at the wrong tool for the job here?

Thanks for the advice.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.