Einstein's Sailboat Tinef

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by NavArch Student, Oct 7, 2011.

1. NavArch Student

NavArch Student Junior Member

Hello,
    I have been working on a research project for school, and I have been trying to locate the sailboat that Albert Einstein used to sail on the Saranac Lake. Not much information is known about it. It was called the Tinef, and was 15 feet long.
    Has anyone heard about this boat?
    Any and all information relating to this boat would be fantastic!

2. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

I only know about Einstein's 20er Jollenkreuzer "Tümmler" in Germany . . . . .

[​IMG]

English site - - German site

Good luck with the search for Tinnef, Google "Einstein Tinnef" gives a lot of hits for that boat . . . . . . .

I'm not sure it's single or double n in Tinef . . ? ? - So try both combined with Einstein . . . . :idea:

Cheers,
    Angel

3. Angélique

I see wrong info pops up also, be aware of that . . . . :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

‘‘ Albert Einstein sailing his boat, "Tinef". ’’

This is wrong info :eek:, pic shows Einstein and his 20er Jollenkreuzer "Tümmler" in Germany ;)

The comments have it right there :idea:

Cheers,
    Angel

4. Angélique

Here's how Tinef looks like . . . . .

[​IMG] - [​IMG]

It pops up on Google image search "Einstein Tinef".

Good luck!
    Angel

1 person likes this.
  5. arstew

arstew New Member

I'm quite interested in this too. I did some research and ended up naming my own boat Tinef since I did some sailing in Princeton too - see link: http://tinef.wordpress.com/2011/04/02/tinef_explained/

My guess is that it ended up somewhere around Saranac, though I believe he also used the same boat to sail in Princeton on Lake Carnegie. In fact, the above picture (the one on the right) is probably in Princeton. That looks like Washington Bridge in the background. Unfortunately, there's not much useful info around, and believe it or not there isn't even an Einstein Museum anywhere. You can find the house he lived in in Princeton, and the wool shop on Nassau has a lot of memorabilia on the wall (almost a museum actually). I wonder if someone at the wool shop there would know much. Somewhere there must be an Einstein expert that would have some clues.

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

He wouldn't be the first person to name all his boats the same.

7. BATAAN

BATAAN Senior Member

I know a woman who has 4 sons all named "Domingo".

8. NavArch Student

NavArch Student Junior Member

Hey all just a brief update. I handed in my paper sadly without a boat to go with it but I did have an interesting research. I had contacted the Carnegie Lake rowing association and the Princeton rowiing association. I had little leads so I contacted Knollwood Club. My goal was to look around Cottage 6 where Einstein speant most of his summers. Club Knollwood is very secluded, and it was a challenge to get in contact with them. I was lucky enough to get in contact with a man who was in charge of getting a lawn maintenance crew. I told him of my research project, and he said I could come by since very few families are still in cottages. One weekend I drove up to Saranac, and was able to do a search around cottage six. I checked all around the wooded area nearby, then I searched under the porch. I was hoping that the sailboat might have been thrown in the backyard and left neglected. Sadly I had no luck. It was a fun adventure none the less.

9. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Ha! Were they all born or conceived on a Sunday?

10. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

Einstein in a small sailboat.

Talk about action/reaction.

What a hoot.

-Tom

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.