Computer Tips 101

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by kach22i, Oct 23, 2009.

1. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Computer Tips 101

I was sitting in a free class at the local community college last week when one of the students shouted from the back row to the instructor that she could increase the size of the text display (which no one could read) on the computer projection on the board if she pressed the Ctrl button key and scroll wheel on her mouse at the same time.

I have a mouse with a little button on the left (thumb) which allows me to create a locked size zoom window (does not increase resolution) so I though that I would never use this computer tip. However on small text the Ctrl/scroll does seem to increase the readability of the text over the button alone.

Try it on this website:
    http://www.stereotimes.com/acc083109.shtml

I'm still not sure how to return to my normal screen size. I've been closing the window or site and restarting Firefox for now.

Your old eyes will thank me for this tip.;)

What is your computer tip?

2. Bamby

Bamby Junior Member

I also use Firefox and to increase the fount size you can hit Ctrl then + then to revert the fount back hit Ctrl - until you make it as small as you want.

3. wardd

wardd Senior Member

try control and the zero

4. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

What does the "101" mean???

5. Luckless

Luckless Senior Member

A number that is often used for university/college level classes of the most basic nature (found at that level).

You can also go and configure what the 'extra' buttons do on your mouse. Lots of useful features such as Back/Forward in browsers. Special functions in programs.

6. Bamby

Bamby Junior Member

At least here in the states when a person lists an article that covers all the basics in general understandable terms. Say you want to learn all about pontoon boats for instance. You can google pontoon boat 101 and you'll get a listing of such as this which is No. 1 right now. http://www.pontoonhouseboatodyssey.com/Pontoon_Boats_101.html

7. Ad Hoc

Ad Hoc Naval Architect

Ah, ok...must be an American (and Canadian) Uni-thingy then!

I don't ever recall having "numbers", just names of courses/subjects. Although nowadays, there does appear a series of numbers next course titles, such as J643, for the MEng in Ship Science/Yacht & Small Craft at Soton Uni. These numbers are just for accounting/admin, no indication of the "level". The MEng or BSc et al, does that!

I dare not play too much with my mouse in case i can't undo what has been done! But I've just bought a new ThinkStation which has a super duper wireless keyboard and mouse that does all sorts of crazy things, like zooming in and out, just by sliding my fingers over parts of the mouse or keyboard!!...almost like Star Trek :D

8. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Dang, I read right over this - thanks, you are awesome.

As said in another forum:

9. kach22i

kach22i Architect

Computers for Dummies

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.