Need help finding a oil filter relocation kit.

Discussion in 'Diesel Engines' started by bntii, Jun 15, 2009.

1. bntii

bntii Senior Member

I have one of the Kubota v1505 engines and would like to put a oil filter relocation kit on the block. I have not had any luck finding kits for this engine. The diameter of the o-ring on the face of the oil filter is 7.3" (59mm), and the threads of the mount are m20x1.5

Thanks in advance for any ideals

2. apex1

apex1 Guest

Mann Filter.......

3. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

Be assured that there IS a filter adapter that will work already in production somewhere. The trick is to learn the dimensions of your filter base and the thread specification, then look in a catalog of filter adapters. Whenever you do one of these conversions, it is also an opportunity to change the filter type to one that is larger than the original, universally available and cheap. Be sure to incorporate all of the features of the original filter such as check valve, bypass valve and etc as in the original. The back of the filter catalog will have pages containing the specifications and dimensions of each part number filter. Mann and Wix both still supply all such data in their catalogs. Sadly, many others such as Purolator now omit that data. In these pages you'll find the details of your filter. You could also measure the dimensions of your filter then look for the appropriate sandwich adapter.

Jimbo

4. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Jimbo- thanks very much. The Wix catalog has the full reference/specs on the filter just as you mentioned. Now I can look for the adapters with a bit more info.

5. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

I think you meant 2.3 inches, right? 7.3" (185mm) would be a REALLY BIG oil filter base :D

Jimbo

6. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Details Details.....LOL

Thanks again Jimbo- ya 2.3"

7. kenJ

kenJ Senior Member

Might want to check with your local Kubota tractor dealer. He may have a kit to do just what you want at a much lower price than universal/westerbeake.

8. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

Lots of different companies make them. Here's a few:

Flex-a-Lite

Glow Shift

Baker Precision

I noticed that most have very wide seal 'lands', so that a range of base sizes will be compatible with a given adapter.

You can add an oil cooler now if your engine does not already have one, or if you just want to increase the oil cooler capacity.

This is also a good time to visit the '5 micron conundrum' of full-flow oil filtration. If you don't know about that, it goes something like this:

It is widely accepted that particles as small as 5 microns wear you engine significantly. A 'full-flow' oil filter (All the oil MUST pass through this type filter; it's the type on your engine) could be made to catch particles this small, but it would have to be very big.

The design choice then becomes:

1. Use a REALLY BIG full-flow filter that catches particles down to 5 microns

2. Use a reasonably sized full-flow filter that catches all the big stuff, and add a second bypass type filter that catches the 5 micron stuff

3. Use a reasonably sized full flow filter that catches only down to 10 microns

The OEM's have almost always selected option #3 for reasons of cost and space. Since you'll be mounting the filter remotely, you can now do option #1 or #2. All the big expensive diesel engines do option#2.

Jimbo

9. paulhille

paulhille Junior Member

Hey guys, if you google sound diesel,in long island the guy that probably installed your Beta Kubota is Joe DeMers, that remote filter system is an option he offers on his repower jobs. I am very close to getting a beta Kubota 35 HP from him, what size is your boat and engine, and what do yop think of this motor. Have you had it long. Sorry bout all the questions, this is your thread..... Thanks Red

10. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Hello Red

I have a Kubota marinized by a different company than Beta. I have nothing but good to say about the engine though in my case the marinizer leaves much to be desired. You will have no problems with the Beta.

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

There is always some on Ebay. Some are called multi adapters able to adapt to most.

I also can not get one for my engines. the thread in the center is the problem I think it is 22x1.5.

12. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

That should not pose a big problem. Just have a machine shop fabricate a custom bolt (or nut, as the case may be) to fasten an existing adapter of appropriate diameter. The bolt (or nut) is always separate from the adapter block anyway.

Jimbo

13. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

You had better have another look ,--the filter adapter has the thread boss threaded into it.

Its not something you want to mess about with. Alarms or no Alarms I dont want oil pressure failure on a marine diesel running at 90%.

14. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

The filter adapters that I have used are not built that way. Have a look at the Flex-a-Lite or Baker adapters I linked above. That's how most are made, with a separate nut. Just get one like that and have a special nut made for your odball thread.

Jimbo

15. Jimbo1490

Jimbo1490 Senior Member

HA!

I just looked on the Flex-a-Lite page and they have your 22 X1.5 adapter in stock!

Jimbo

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.