Reading the River

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Yobarnacle, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Yobarnacle

Yobarnacle Senior Member holding true course

Any more comments about still waters? Do they ALWAYS indicate deep water?

2. Yobarnacle

Thats fault of FCC in USA. Used to be you had to have a marine radio telephone operators permit, at least 3rd class to use vhf, and every radio equipped vessel needed at least one licensed operator. Permits were issued after examination. I'm in favor of minimalist govt. But who in the private sector is stepping into the breach?

3. Yobarnacle

Well, I'm doing most of the posting. I'll hang back as promised

4. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

And good manners are required for civil operation

. Overtaking. When a vessel is overtaking you, SLOW DOWN !!!!!!!!!!!, so that the maneuver happens fast. Nothing worse than being locked into an overtaking battle for one hour.

5. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

And seagulls. Are those seagulls sitting OR ARE THEY STANDING !

6. Yobarnacle

I LOVE IT! Thanks

7. Yobarnacle

Sometimes still water exists over a shoal. It just happens there isn't any current there.

Color change of the water can indicate depths. Darker hues frequently mean deeper. Is this always true?

8. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Post as the will inspires. Many will benefit.

I lack the knowledge to contribute to this thread. No deep draught experience.

Will bow to learned ones.

9. Yobarnacle

It's not intended to be for deep draught, Hoyt.

They use pilots.

It's observing and understanding the ripples, roils, eddies, colors, bank geography, twist, turns, and bends, so you can safely navigate up or down a strange river. It's called reading the river. Or, flying by the seat of your pants, if you do it at high speed! ..:D

10. Yobarnacle

In an earlier post, I asked if a darker color always meant deeper water. No. Clouds, over hanging trees, buildings can make shadows and confuse you.

11. Yobarnacle

In swift current, rather than recklessly racing down river, it is sometimes wiser to emulate the old sailing vessels. Point your bow into the current and use enough sail or engine to have steerage. The current will carry you down stream stern first. But you are under control.

12. Yobarnacle

What holds true for seagulls applies to other birds as well, like egrets.

Many signs are on the water, and aren't difficult to read. Being alert to them takes a little practice.

Arrows in the water is one sign. Water bounces off obstructions and shoals. An arrow shaped disturbance with the point down stream is safe to pass over. It's called a chute by whitewater canoeists. It's created by water rebounding from obstructions on both sides and the water meets in the middle making the arrow design. Shoot the chute. It's the deepest water.
    An arrow with point upstream is pointing to an obstruction at the point. possibly a rock or a branch of a submerged tree.

Lines of ditritus (fallen leaves, scum,ect) stationary in a current indicate a submerged obstruction immediately upstream. The eddy below the obstruction has trapped the material.

13. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Wonderful thread. A lot of what's here is common sense -- which isn't all that common, to begin with. And just because something seems obvious once it's pointed out, that doesn't mean it was on your radar before you heard it....

Umm, mixed metaphors? Do people normally hear stuff on radar? Now I've got myself all confused.... One bourbon and lemon-lime seltzer too many, I guess; I think it's bedtime for Bonzo.

14. Yobarnacle

Be alert at intersections, where other channels or rivers join. The usually have currents also. The bank opposite their joining is almost always shoal, because the eddies dump silt there.
    Head up toward the new channel so the side current doesn't push you onto the shoal.

Outsides of bends are the fastest current. If you are too wide starting in the bend, you can be swept into the bank and held there by current pressure. Also overhanging trees can catch you or sweep people overboard. They are called "sweepers" for this reason. They can capsize you, or scratch up your boat and will remove antennaes and rigging for you. Wanted or not!

When running rivers, mentally divide distance between banks into thirds. Try to follow these imaginary lines, 1/3 from either bank.

Normally, upbound traffic takes inside third of bends, downbounders take the outside third. This requires swapping banks frequently.

15. Yobarnacle

Exactly, Troy. Seamanship, even brownwater seamanship, is nothing more than Alertness, common sense, and learned traditional skills.
    It's not rocket science. Well, maybe for jet boats and hydrofoils and fast multihulls it's rocket science. I like 7 knots myself.

A note of caution. If something up ahead is confusing or doesn't look like you might like it? Don't rush up there amongst it. Idle back and creep toward it till you know exactly what you're getting into.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.