Re-rig ketch to schooner

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by mcoffey, Dec 22, 2008.

1. mcoffey

mcoffey New Member

Hello,
    I am not a designer, but have a question on re-rigging a Hudson Force 50 from a ketch to a schooner. William Garden designs were mostly drawn as ketches or schooners so there should be enough drag aft for a schooner rig, but because these are factory built ketch rig boats would there need to be hull and/or deck modifications to move the mast steps and chain plates to change the rig to a staysail schooner with marconi main.
    I have been thinking about this for some time and replys will help me to continue with this thought or abandon the thought.
    Thank you for any input.
    Mike

2. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The main mast would have to come through the pilothouse roof, which would be a weakness for sure, though anything can be reinforced. It's also likely the main mast step would land directly on top of the engine, which could make it hard to change it's oil.

In all honestly, this is a bit of major surgery, though the hull certainly could carry this rig. The schooner is a romantic rig, but you'll wish for the ketch in short order after sailing such a change.

I'd recommend against the conversion. If you were to consider it, much, if not all of the interior would have to be ripped out, a new structural grid bonded to the hull and liner, with the steps in the right locations, new chain plates, bulkheads and other load accommodations designed and installed, a new interior around the new structural and rig changes, not to mention the deck. Yep, tens of thousands, but it can be done. I'm not trying to pee on your parade, but it would be a substantial undertaking.

3. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

Not a good idea like PAR said..
    However if you really got do it maybe some kind of intermediate solution like chancing a taller mizzen and shorter main masts so that the were about "equals" (booms having the original length). And adding a bit of bowsprit to get an additional sail to keep the CE in place. So besides the bowsprit no new mast steppings, bit of strengthening for the mizzen and new masts, sails etc...

4. mcoffey

mcoffey New Member

Thank you for the replys, I had hoped that the hull would be one structural unit (wishful thinking) We liked the layout of the Force 50, but I am looking at a Formosa or Ct 41 footer that has been schooner rigged. The current owner has owned the boat for 18 years and purchased it as a schooner, I haven't been below and won't be meeting the owner for a couple of months yet, so I am trying to learn what I can so that I may know what to look for, than I will decide wheather it is worth hiring a surveyer to look at the boat. I have seen two schooner rigged Formosa type 41s, I assumed they were re-rigged ketches.
    Thank you again
    Mike

5. Brent Swain

Brent Swain Member

I've known many cruisers who have changed schooners to ketches by simply switching the masts into each others steps. It was always a huge improvement , and simply done.
    Brent

6. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

7. mcoffey

mcoffey New Member

Yeah Teddy, I am a lurker at that site also, some good info and I appricate the lead. I have sailed on a ct41 and know how hard they can be to tack in light air. as well as age issues. I decided my question was more of a design question when I didn't get any hits on the other site as opposed to a sailing question.

Here is a question

One of the things with the boat I am looking at is the owner said there is a sizable beam along the bilge of this boat that both mast step on. I assumed that whoever re-rigged the boat stepped the mast on this beam and the beam rest on the original mast steps? What problems might arise with this?

8. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I wouldn't want to speculate about your longitudinal member which the mast step on.

Generally the main mast location is too far aft in a ketch (of typical proportions) to be suitable as the fore mast in a schooner conversion. Some have done this, but it doesn't look right. What you usually end up with is a fore boom that's length is out or proportion with schooners and the mainsail has to be smaller then what's typical for a schooner.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.