re powering

Discussion in 'Outboards' started by talau1978, Aug 26, 2016.

1. talau1978

talau1978 Junior Member

thank u again Mr. Par for the heads up and what to expect on such a undertaking, it's a risk and at the sametime a learning curve. as being determined good, but not in the wrong way. I'm gonna see for myself how to move forward and at the sametime take notes on what to do and how I should take on this project. I know it's not a beginner's job, but for seasoned veteran to do such tasks, I know there is a fine line between reality and dreaming and this is where I don't want to be the determined crazy guy!(LOL) but the guy who's willing to do this project and be open to suggestion which is better then the guy who is my way or the highway. Mr Par I do understand what u mean I thank u for reminding me of the plethora what can happen and go wrong.

2. talau1978

talau1978 Junior Member

Mr E,,,

I do see that outboard engines are have come a long way. This build is not about speed cus no matter what engine u have will be a gas/diesel fuel guzzler if u gonna run it like a speed demon, this is more A to B. I know for sure this hull can go fast, but knowing what this hull is all about I'd rather take my time to get out there and if I have to booked it I will at the same time be safe out there,,, the OLD saying "WATER WATER EVERYWHERE NOT A SINGLE DROP DRINK" this is the predicament we're trying to avoid at all cost. what to gain out of this if it's said and done. EXPERIENCE OF A LIFETIME knowing I gained experiences that can be taught in school or better yet learning from people like U and Mr. Par cus u two's experiences is more valuable to me then going to school! (school will help) and that is the honest truth. That's the connection that I'd rather have and learn from those who live that lifestyle.

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Given the weight and shape of this hull, it's never going to be a speed demon. It's not designed for this and frankly has it's "sweet spot" in the low to mid 20's. Any faster is just a big fuel burn and a harsher ride. It's nice to have a safety margin, so you can occasionally blast into a rough head sea or run for shelter, but mostly you'll want to drive any engine/drive combination "in the zone", so you don't break the boat, the engines or the skippers legs.

4. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

Outboards have come a long way, but the top end of the range is designed to suit go-fast boats, not plodders. Reason being you have heaps of hp, high revs, a moderate gear reduction, and a relatively small diameter propellor. The only way that power can be properly applied is with high pitched props, and you are really talking 30+ knots cruise speeds for their most effective use. I think you should consult someone who has already adapted your hull to outboards, for their appraisal of the idea.

5. talau1978

talau1978 Junior Member

that's the plan Mr. Par and Mr. E, point A point B, it's not the speed but the sweet spot and then the necessary torque and thrust if I have to seek shelter or otherwise book it to safety, it's just good to know that I have the option on power platt form the outboards or inboards,,, but ten years of inboard was more costly to repair ie propeller shaft,,, they don't break, but when they do it gets really expensive real quick and with very heavy parts. I will consult with people who have made the transition to outboard on this hull or like the bertram 31 on outboards, I know I will make mistakes along the way,,,but I'm not going in blind.

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

I've never seen a BF 31 with outboards, but have seen a 29 with outboards on a bracket, which would be the ultimate space saver. No engine boxes, no splashwell, just a wide open cockpit.

One of the advantages of the BF 31 is her mass (and where it's located). If you drive a lighter, but similar boat like the Sea Ray, when you run into a healthy chop, the lighter boat has to back way down, to keep her comfortable, but the BF 31 mashes chop and continuous on, maybe with a very modest speed reduction. This is the advantage of a well shaped, 9 ton boat. As equipped, the BF also seems to have a pretty wide speed range, from say about 18 though the low 30's (depending on engine package), which is quite unusual deep V hulls and just not normal on lighter deep V designs. My point is, you actually want the weight and the CG very close to what it is now.

7. talau1978

talau1978 Junior Member

thanks again Mr. Par,,,

that's was where I was trying to get at,,, a lot of cockpit real estate and to me the hull is heavy already which is not a problems to outboard engines esp the evinrude 250 or 300 HP which are lighter and then the inboard motors. the outboards pack's a lot of thrust and torque and ur right it's about the sweet spots not OOOO watch me zoom with this like u say 9 ton hull!!! lol that's not my goal,,,the goal for me is to methodically gutted and reglassed to re strengthening the hull. I would like to build this boat in a walk around v dory with a closed cabin,,, the hull and the sheer mass and on deck real estate can be converted to family and serious fisherman in mind and yet with a feminine touch (lol). I love this hull cus of its wide girth and pretty a good size cabin on deck plus good clearance on port and starboard walkway. that's why I wanna do this build. so far the only outboard mounted on these type hulls are the bertram 31 and BF 29 on engine brackets. I personally like the girth on this hull, so much can be done on this boat. maybe that's why I wanna do this project... stepping out of the box from traditional to something different... in a very well thought out approach.

8. Swamplizard

Swamplizard Senior Member

keep us posted. I too am interested in conversion. I miss my outboards

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.