Dual Hull Design. Expertise Needed

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by FreelanceBuild2, Jan 16, 2012.

1. FreelanceBuild2

FreelanceBuild2 Junior Member

I need help! I'm very new to this. So new to this that I'm still in the designing phase. I have the designs for a new innovative engine. I can't delve into the details because i still need to get a patent first. I have a degree in Auto Body, and my friend, (Gordon, who is in this with me) has a degree in advanced engineering. He's the one who brought the idea of this engine to me and since then we have come to the conclusion that we want to put the designs into a boat.

We have a laptop set aside for C.A.D. programing and I'd like to begin the designs for a 60' Motorsailer, preferably a Catamaran. We'd like to have more of a luxury cruise design. I need to know everything. Any tip, encouragement, fact, anything would be very helpful, and very very appreciated. We live in Jackson, Missouri and when ready, can set sail down the Mississippi River to the Golf of Mexico.

There's some specifics that id like to point out. It'll be Gordon, my wife, me, and possibly room for three more comfortably. Storage for a long trip because once she is sea worthy we are going around the world to prove that the innovative engine design works for long periods of time. The sail is just a precautionary measure for if the engines break er something goes wrong and we need other means of propulsion. We will document everything.

2. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

If you have an innovative engine to deal with, why not just buy an off the shelf plan or at least modify same if need be ?

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

There are many people that build a boat around an engine they own. However, they know the weight, dimensions, HP, torque, etc. For all I know, the engine won't work unless it is stationary.

4. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

Why put the engine in a boat and not in a car, for example?

5. FreelanceBuild2

well if i were to put the engine into a car which some have done i would need to take the whole back seat out to use it as space for the engine. but for things like boats er power plants er even cruse liners and cargo carriers space is not an issue. though the engine is too big for common use in cars the size of the engine does not grow exponentially for how much horsepower is needed. so say for a 4 cylinder the size doesn't double if i were to make one for an 8 cylinder. but the size of the engine does start at a specific size

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  6. FreelanceBuild2

as of right now money is an issue but may not be in the near future. Gorden and I are putting the designs into something small that doesnt need a whole lot of power and use that to start us off. Gorden knows a guy that will sponsor us if we present him with a working engine that incorporates our designs and from there i will begin to build the frame work of our boat in my shop. but first i need to get the blueprints for the boat into my cad programing and have everything ready before we start. its always been my dream to sail, to be on the water. and because of this design being put into a boat, the space needed is cut nearly in half. thats also why its most pratical to put it into a boat.

7. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

====================
    Absolutely do not try to design a boat yourself-you'll put your engine project in jeopardy! Consult with a naval archictect- I highly recommend someone like Eric Sponberg who is a member here.
    He could help you pick out a used boat(avail inexpensively in many places these days) or make other informed suggestions. You would probably be more likely to get sponsorship with the help of a qualified NA/ marine engineer. http://www.sponbergyachtdesign.com/
    Good Luck!

8. FreelanceBuild2

thank you so much that would be great help. but i will also have to ask is using plywood and then putting fiberglass over that practical? strength? cost worthy? any thoughts?

9. Richard Woods

Richard Woods Woods Designs

I would agree, the most cost effective option will be to put your engine in a cheap, old boat.

You will have enough to do with the new engine to have time to design and build a boat as well.

Unless you want to wait 10 years when maybe someone else thinks of your idea.

It will take maybe 10,000 hours to build a 60ft catamaran to a basic shell finish

And I wouldn't build one in wood. Foam sandwich is a more sensible option.

Have you done much boating yourself? A 60 ft catamaran is a huge boat. 40 ft would be big enough for your needs and even that is a huge project for a home builder

Designing a boat when you are starting from knowing nothing is as hard as designing an aircraft, and way harder than designing a space craft (see my FAQs page for reasons). A car would be a much simpler project to design and build, so why not start with that?

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

10. FreelanceBuild2

I know im in way over my head and i sound like an idiot but water is my passion and i love being on it. ill come clean so as to help everyone understand why its best to use this engine in a boat. the water. i know its skeptical to use the hydrogen as the fuel source and the oxygen as the excelerant because of the time it takes to separate the two. but think of it! free fuel! and since your in the water the space needed for water storage is no longer needed, the only space you need is just for a normal engine and a little more. the hydrogen fuel cells. clean them every few weeks and you can go anywhere around the world without the need to buy fuel. the reason i don't do it on cars is because its already being done and frankly its not practical. the space of the back seat is needed to store the water and also look at adding another $30,000 to the price of your car. and yes i plan on building a small boat first as a prototype to see if the design works well enough. and if it does then ill be putting it to the ultimate test. a bigger boat and a longer voyage. around the world. I want to build around the engine because it'll be easier to incorporate it into the design but i know that in the long run ill probably buy a used boat.

11. DCockey

DCockey Senior Member

Where does the energy to convert the water into hydrogen and oxygen come from? Fuel cells combine hydrogen and oxygen to produce water and energy.

12. FreelanceBuild2

i guess the next question to ask is does anyone know about buying used boats? whats some telltale signs that the boat is not worth the time? price range? and if im to buy a used one id like it to be a fairly good size so that ill have the room to place the engine and not have to go to larger when the time comes. so i guess it needs to be big enough to go across the oceans.

13. FreelanceBuild2

well the energy would come from a couple of semi alternators. granted this would be for a boat that would need more energy than say a ground tiller. id also like to point out that im not the one with the degree in advanced engineering. hes at work.so even if i wanted to i couldnt go into too much detail. im the one to build the boat and hes the one to build the engine

14. bntii

bntii Senior Member

Proof the engine system on the bench.

Skip the boat.

15. lumberjack_jeff

lumberjack_jeff Sawdust sweeper

Be aware that electrolyzing seawater gives off mostly chlorine gas instead of oxygen.
    Also be aware that it takes more energy to electrolyze hydrogen than the gas yields as fuel energy in BTU.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.