How to fix a new gun-whale rubber strip.

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by tropicrows, Oct 17, 2006.

1. tropicrows

tropicrows Junior Member

Morning all,

I need to fit a new rubber strip around the gun-whale of a fibreglass boat
    that I have been restoring for some time. I removed the old strip, removed
    all the old resin holding in place, and cleaned up the joint where the hull
    and deck join. I don't how many types of these strips there are, but this
    one is pushed over the fibreglass join and is held in place with epoxy or
    polyester resin.
    Now for the question what method/process should I use to fix the new one in
    place. How do I hold 14 meters of this strip in place or can I do a section at a time. The last thing I want is to stuff this up and end up with resin getting onto the newly painted hull and deck and the rubber strip not looking good. All help with this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Regards
    Bruce

2. hydrofoiler

hydrofoiler student

I just replaced the rubrail rubber strip on a Club 420 sailboat and used 3M 5200 sealant/adhesive. http://www.starmarinedepot.com/3M 5200 Sealant.html
    This is a flexible ultra durable adhesive that bonds to gelcote, fiberglass, wood and rubber. It worked very well. I think this method would also allow you to do in in sections or if you got some buddies to help you just goo it all up and stick in on there at one time and tape it up just to hold it until the 5200 sets up.
    Good Luck
    -Alan

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.