Re design, What is too much help to ask for ?

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by globaldude, Nov 3, 2006.

1. globaldude

globaldude court jester

How accomadating are you fellow members ?. There are many a designer amongst you all, I, am not !.
    I'm trying to build my own yacht as I can't afford or find what suits our needs/wants , but before I can go much further I need to make decisions as to placement and size of Daggerboards [ in my case] affecting the CLR ,and rig size / placement.
    I know there are recognized ratios, sail area / displacement [ don't know those yet ] , I can work out my centre of effort , [but is my sail plan big enough ? ] and CLR , but the placement in % of waterline leangth ??

I , like many others no doubt, joined this fantastic forum because of it's wealth of knowledge [ the members ] not to mention the whit & sarcasim - reads Humor - and have learnt so much and am gratefull for all advice to date
    If I were to post some line drawings, dimentions,displacment etc, am I asking too much from profecional people for help advice via this forum ?.
    I'm thinking that many of you designers enjoy the "shop talk" , and am not cynical enough to think that you visit here to hook clients.
    I think on the whole, generally speaking, the members are a clever and experienced lot , more so in their paticular field .
    I am an engineer, but don't have initials after my name, those that have, have said I should work for them . I will build our yacht, but need to ask about things I will learn.
    I'll post some lines of the hull as I brought her. The decks are all but removed now as I'll be flush decking her - she needed the extra bouyancy & us the room . I'll also be dropping the keel [ what keel !? ] 150mm to give her some bite at low speeds with boards up.
    Can't seem to post the pics ? - I'll try later.

2. globaldude

globaldude court jester

Couldn't load the ADOBE files ??, I'll try to ??, what ?, copy them and paste in another file them try ?? . I'm not to computer savy.

I thought I'd show you'all the main engine to be installed, about 70hp brushless electric motor / alternator .

Attached Files:

3. globaldude

globaldude court jester

AHH, got em !. If at first you don't suckseed , try smokin it !!

Attached Files:

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.