re coar deck

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by mrgibbs, May 14, 2011.

1. mrgibbs

mrgibbs New Member

Hello,
    I am looking for advice on how to fix the soft deck on my center console. So far I have cut out the top gell coat and the rodded wet wood underneath shown in the picture. My plan is to recore the deck with MAS epoxy. I plan on grinding up the entire area to make it rough and clean it with a acidtone then aply a coat of thickened epoxy and put a new piece of plywood in. Any specific plywood I should use or can I just use all epoxy? Should I try to bond the new wood with the old wood that is on the top and bottom since it is clean and strong? Would it be benificial to lay any glass mat on top of the new wood with epoxy because the old skin had no fiberglass mat on the top of the old wood. It was bottom skin of fiberglass skin (not ridgid, flexible and thin). Epoxy with plywood on top and about one-quater inch of resign or epoxy on top with the gel coat on top of that.will the plywood bond with what wood is left on so of the edges,

Any advice would be greatly appreaciated since this is the first time doing this kind of major repair

Attached Files:

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You can use epoxy, but polyester will do fine and it's cheaper. AC or BC exterior plywood will work.