RCD, ELCI GFI between ABYC and ISO codes

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by klims106, Jan 17, 2013.

1. jonr

jonr Senior Member

We have grid-tie inverters now that can provide additional surge capacity to a shore line, but it looks like ABYC prohibits them (something about only 1 power source).

2. philSweet

philSweet Senior Member

A point that seems to be lost on nearly everybody. There is way too little attention paid to this. I've met a few techs who have heard that loads should be balanced. I have yet to meet a regular boat yard guy that has a clue how to do it or even really understands the importance. It seems to be regarded as a nice-to-have or a purely academic objective. Nevermind that your phase voltages are 95/145 when the dryer, watermaker and salon a/c are all running.
    Just try to convince an owner to spend money to convert a 120v appliance to 240v so they can balance the load. "I did it that way so I can always find cheap replacements". "I hope so, 'cause your going to need a lot of them."

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.